Our DIY Master Closet

A quick look of my blog and you'll soon discover that we care about the environment we live in. This is evident from posts on where I've sourced clothes before, how we've grown our own fruit and vegetables in the garden and most recently my post on our daughters' room

With this in mind readers won't be surprised that we made our own diy closet/walk in wardrobe. When we moved into our home a few years ago it came complete with built in wardrobes to do as we pleased with. In the girls bedroom we just added a storage unit complete with baskets to store their clothes in. Then hubby took measurements to create a temporary base to store things on top of.


It soon became clear that the storage system worked out rather well for us but we came to putting the girls baskets on top of the storage space when they moved into those clothes. When my youngest was born my eldest started using these canvas bins.


Of course not wanting to feel left out we decided to make our own storage system out of three bookcases that were secured to the back of the wall. We also added some brackets to hold the middle in place and added clothes rails to the middle.


The three bookcases were purchased second hand and we've just added canvas bins and a couple of other baskets to the middle of the shelves. At present I'm keeping seasonal pieces at the top. Hubby's taken the left hand canvas bins and mine are on the right. We both share the rails in the middle. Time will tell if the project is a success and it works as well as the girls system does.

What environmental projects have you undertaken recently?

Coombe MillGreen Rosie LifeRhyming with WineMrs Mummy Harris

Comments

  1. I just recovered my old footstool - the black leather cracked. I never thought I could do it but I did! #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your closet turned out. Great organization makes things so much smoother! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a fantastic idea. Reusing the bookcases is just genius. It looks great too. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Very inspirational. We are quite frugal when it comes to furnishing our house too, although could do with being a bit more creative and organised! #triumphanttales

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very organised. I've just completed a similar project in my wardrobe. It always feels good to have everything in order :) #GoingGreenLinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow! This is so much better! Loads of space! Well done you! #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! We've just had our garden re-done and making our own veggie patch! Popping over from #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely brlliant. It is amazing what you can recycle into something practical and worthwhile X #mmbc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helena, I do like your storage system, simple, yet effective, without costing the earth. The only environmental thing I'm mindfully doing at the moment is recycling our waste... But my husband recently fixed our computer chair that I thought was a total goner, it saved us having to throw it away and buy another one. It should last... If we don't sit on it!

    Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on such effective use of the space and such a saving if you can do it yourself. We built our house and I have the walk in wardrobe I've always wanted. However I have taken over it and my husband now has to use a separate stand alone wardrobe in the bedroom. I hope your sharing works out better!

    thank you for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fab - well done. It looks great! Thanks so much for linking up to #TriumphantTales - hope to see you again on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a job well done. I love the little boxes.
    I am about to regrout our bath and paint our bathroom and replace some wooden panels with tiles. It's going to be a challenge but I like those!
    #goinggreen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh - you've got me thinking now. We have some old bookcases and the boys desperately need some more storage space in what may still be a vain attempt for them to keep their rooms tidier. As for other environmental project it has been full on processing all the veg and fruit coming out of my veg patch and welcoming lots of guests to our eco-gite .... which is why I have hardly touched the blog this summer and been so late to replying to this post that you linked to #GoingGreen (Thank you for that!) The next linky opens on Sept 4th so I hope you will join in again and I will try and get round to reading posts earlier 💚

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment