There is no Wifi in the Forest but I Promise you will get a Better Connection

As we wound our way down the country lanes to what felt like the middle of nowhere in our family car I couldn't help but feel excited for what the day would bring. We were promised a fun filled packed day with lots of outdoor demonstrations and our day with The Bushcraft Company did not disappoint. 

There is no Wifi in the Forest but I Promise you will get a Better Connection

Walking down the stone covered paths it is easy for your mind to conjure up pan piped music similar to that you’d hear in Peter Pan’s Indians settlement. For nestled amongst the trees are tents that for the summer are home to several teachers who know a lot about bushcraft.

Fire Workshop & Wilderness Cookery 


We’d arrived in time for lighting fires and our instructor who reminded my husband of Bear Grylls sounded enthusiastic about showing us the variety of ways it is possible to make fires. We then split into smaller tribes and had a chance to practice what we had just seen.  We collected lots of sticks and bark to put into the fire and Kerry from Blissful Domestication was keen to have a go at starting our fire with a magnifying glass. Alas despite there being an initial spark it did not burst into flame. My husband tried to help her too but it just wouldn't roar into action. Meanwhile a fire appeared behind us and we all threw the sticks into it including my daughter under supervision.


When the fire was roaring we were provided with burgers to cook which were cooked to perfection. The staff had also cooked potato chips on site and had lettuce, cheese and baps to accompany our burgers. They also had, water, juice and tea available to tuck into.

Camouflage and Concealment



After creating clay models that dried quickly in the sun. It was time for a crash course in concealment. The instructor made marks on my husband’s face with face paint which made me think of a parrot and our eldest daughter was happy to paint an instructors face as well as mine too! 



They then played games in the woods, running and hiding behind the trees. My husband was fantastic as he ran around the area with our daughter and burned off a lot of energy.

Wild Food Workshop


After a little run around we all sat down around a camp fire and an instructor passed around some animal hides. We were asked to guess which hide once belonged to which animal and we managed to get them all right. Then we were off again being introduced to animal traps and reminded that if we do go on to attempt making these to dismantle them before returning home.

Camp Craft and Survival Bracelets



Once back at the tents we were then taught how to create little bracelets and got to toast marshmallows on the fire. We were also treated to some lovely marshmallow and rice cereal cake that they’d made.



We had a fantastic day out in the woods and our eldest sailed through her nap. The staff were incredibly passionate, informative and enthusiastic about bushcraft and weren't afraid to tell us if they did not know the answer either. 

Disclosure: We were kindly given a free day out with The Bushcraft Company in exchange for a review. All words and pictures included in this post are my own. 

My Petit CanardReflections From MeCuddle FairyMummy Times TwoRhyming with Winelife as our little familyExtraordinary ChaosUntold MorselsCountry Kids from Coombe MillDiary of an imperfect mum #PointShoot

Comments

  1. This looks great and sometimes I think it's a good thing to be forced to step away from our phones. Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree technology is great but there's lots of fun in going back to basics.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous day you had! My youngest would love to do something like this and I'm sure the older one could be persuaded. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us #MMBC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lisa. We certainly did have a blast.

      Delete
  3. Wow you packed a lot into one day! I bet the burgers cooked on the campfire tasted delicious!

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did and yes there was no chance of getting bored.

      Delete
  4. Love this blog post title. true as true can be :)
    #marvmondays

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a dream day. What a wonderful experience, specially for children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was for all our family, except for baby who was looked after by her grandparents that day.

      Delete
  6. You are creating memories for your children that will stay throughout life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so different. Thanks for sharing. Who knew there were days out like that available. Such good quality family time.
    #postsfromtheheart

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it. Makes me yearn for ahike in the woods, curiously what I wrote about too! #mg xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! That looks like such a fantastic day out! What a lot of fun x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you guys had an amazing time and fun reconnecting without devices. #CandidCuddles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your title, it says it all really. What a wonderful back to nature looking day #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading through this again, I'm impressed by how much they managed to squeeze into a day for you all. I bet your daughter's not stopped talking about it!

      Thanks for linking up with me on #CountryKids.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Fiona. Yes there was no chance of us getting bored. My two year old daughter summed it up in one word 'fun'.

      Delete
  12. I love this, I totally agree that the best way to connect is with no wifi, when we were in Tasmania last year we stayed somewhere where there was no conceit for days, we hiked and read and played games, it was fantastic #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes just switching off from technology and getting back to nature is what we need.

      Delete
  13. There is nothing better than getting away from the daily grind, and getting back to nature! Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
  14. #dreamteam #triedtested This sounds like a fab experience and great to leave the hussle and bustle of the daily grind at home x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This looks like so much fun. I'm kind of jealous. #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww don't be. There are plenty more open days coming up.

      Delete
  16. Ooh, this looks so much fun! I love being outside in nature. As much as I love a good wifi connection, it's good to have a break from the internet and live in the real world for a while! #PostsFromTheHeart

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing time. My boys would love a weekend like this. Off to investigate for the summer holidays. #outdoorblogger

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, looks like a great day out, my son would be in heaven x
    #Mg

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a different kind of activity to do, I bet it was so much fun! Love that you got to cook your own food and toast marshmallows :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was great to have a break from the norm and the food certainly went down well with all concerned I think

      Delete
  20. ooh this is the second review of this day I've read tonight and it looks like you all had such good fun! Thanks for sharing with us at #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was superb. Thank you for reading my post.

      Delete
  21. Looks like a day well spent! Toasting marshmallows by the fire sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I grew up camping and learnt a lot of these skills (especially marshmallow toasting) as a kid. Looks like a great way to relive those memories #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like a great adventure, we love walking in the forests but I'm sure my kids would love all these activities too and learn some great skills. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a brilliant day!!! Love the little clay animals they made. What a great outdoor activity. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the title of your post and this is the kind of connection we should be mad about, not online! Love all your photos. It looks so much fun and it's lovely to see the kids enjoy it too and not just the adults :) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely adventure for the kids. It's the kind of thing we used to do as a treat at brownies when I was a child. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing day. Lucky you. #postsfromtheheart

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow this looks fantastic, I would love to do something like this with G. The perfect #MyFamilyAdventure - thanks so much for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great idea! :) I love the idea of this. Popping over from #CountryKids :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a fantastic day out in nature for you all and lots of great memories made #countrykidsfun

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like our summer girl guide meetings in the 70's. Each patrol had a corner of a wood and we had to make a fire and cook tea, whilst fashioning washing up stands out of wood and string. Would love to do this with my children #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an amazing experience. I bet you did feel a lot more connected to nature and each other after this. I love your photos - don;t suppose you'd like to link up with #PointShoot I'd love to have you! #MG

    ReplyDelete
  33. Because who needs wifi if you have nature to explore and surf!
    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds like so much fun! My daughter would love this as she is a bit obsessed with going to the woods (my fault!), but there aren't any near us. I definitely feel the need to get out of the city and into the wilderness (at least for a short while!). #PostsFromTheHeart

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow this looks like such a lovely family experience and perfect for your family I imagine, I think our boys would love it too, thanks so much for linking up #Mondayescapes x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I got invited to this but sadly could'nt go. What an amazing day we missed out on.#PostsFromTheHeart

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Helena, what a fantastic day out for both children and adults! Just being out in nature is wonderful, but getting to do real outdoorsy things with your daughter must have been wonderful.

    Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC (sorry it's a tad late).

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fun day out for the family! There were so many great activities here that were fun but also had good learning & skills involved in them. The burgers look so yum. And the quote is right on point! There's something magical about connecting with nature. Thanks for sharing the love with us at #candidcuddles xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful family adventure.
    Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested this week x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh wow I would love this Helena. There's nothing better than getting back to nature. Well except maybe marshmallows - but you had those too! ;) Thanks for sharing with #DreamTeam x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Popping back to say thank you for linking up to #PointShoot 📸 too! I love this post and think your message of getting reconnected is such a powerful one. Thank you trot reminding me 💙

    ReplyDelete
  42. I knew from the title of this post that I was going to love it. And I was not wrong! I would love to do something like this. There is nothing better than disconnecting the your phone and to just enjoy nature!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a fantastic day out Helena, it looks like you all had so much fun! We have done several such bushcraft days in the last few years, and we learn so much every time. Love the quote - I used it on my New Year post, as connection is my One Word for 2017 ;)
    #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sounds like it was a fabulous day. I love the sound of the burgers cooked on the fire and your hubby sounded like he had fun running around with your daughter and hiding behind the trees. I love the reminder that whilst there is no wifi in the forest, you still get a better connection from it. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  45. We love getting out into the woods and not having any WiFi would be an added bonus! My boys would absolutely adore a day like this. I've often wondered about Bushcraft - it looks like such a great thing to do. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
  46. This looks like a really fun-filled day, so many great outdoor activities to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It sounds like a wonderful day. Sort of skills that you can keep on revisiting as your Eldest grows. All for the idea of connecting to nature. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a great place to visit, I love the clay models, mine would love making those types of things.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This sounds like an amazing day and something I'd love to do with my family. We did a very short taster session a few months back which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment