Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival

Setting out on a Sunday morning we were struck by the cloud coverage above us. We thought the day would be a wash out and disregarded the need to pack suncream. However, when we got to the Bicester Heritage site we discovered a pocket of sunshine and no showers leading us to wish we’d been better prepared. It seems that through the summer months it is important to take suncream everywhere with you whether or not you use it.

Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival

As we drove up to Bicester we experienced a small queue to get into the venue but once on cite we were soon ushered into our car parking space amongst loads of other cars and directed to the front where people stood checking our tickets. Being our first time I struggled to get to grips with the map straight away but there were friendly people on hand who helped me and my family to get to where we needed to go.

Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival

This politeness and friendliness was matched by people throughout the venue much to my husband’s surprise. For he has gone to similar events in the past elsewhere where this certainly was not the case. A couple of the men at the venue had created their own planes and one of them talked to me about how he’d discovered parts of the plane in a relatives shed and decided to use them in his creation. I loved that he’d lovingly kept the desire of flying in his family.


Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival


Of course he wasn't the only person who had held onto their love of history. Our attention was also caught by a family who had an old fashioned pram that they were pushing around with their grandchild and they were keen to pass on that our eggs do not come courtesy of supermarket shelves but chickens lay them. I used to enjoy eating the eggs my Bantams used to lay until they became foxes dinner! My eldest loved the cuddly chicken and was surprised to learn that not all eggs are breakable in fact some are made of rubber.

Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival

The only problem that the organisers encountered during the day it seemed was the wind that saw many a plane grounded and those that took to the skies did so with the risk of being buffeted about in the air. Those that took to the sky sounded like really experienced pilots and we were told that one of the men that flew had once flown a variety of planes in one day too. Due to the wind I think the timetable was a little off course but this did not cause too much of a problem for those on the ground and the pilots put on a wonderful display.

Fantastic Fun at Flywheel Festival

Other Things That Caught Our Eye

  • As well as real planes there were props such as the Westland Lysander that featured in the film Allied featuring Brad Pitt
  • Tank rides took place in modern day tanks at one end of the venue
  • The main arena saw a variety of different vehicles racing around the circuit and creating a lot of noise
  • Dotted about the venue were food stalls selling a variety of foods
  • There are portaloos but no designated changing facilities for babies

When was the last time you went to an air show?

Disclaimer: We were kindly provided a family ticket in exchange for a review. The words and pictures contained within this post are a mixture of my own and that of Flywheel Festival – Media.


Plutonium SoxCountry Kids from Coombe MillPost Comment LoveThe PramshedPotty AdventuresTwo Tiny HandsCuddle FairyRun Jump Scrap!Diary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyMum Muddling Through

Comments

  1. What a great day out you had. My boys would love those planes and how nice that everyone was so friendly and accomodating too. #FamilyFun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all certainly had a great day out and my eldest is now spotting planes wherever we go

      Delete
    2. Popping back to say thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day out....
    I haven't been to an air show for years....We have a good one up here in the North East. The Sunderland one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly enjoyed it. A senses experience certainly. I wonder whether my hubby knows of that one.

      Delete
  3. I love it when you meet up with people really passionate about what they are interested in. You could listen to them forever if you let them!! Looks like a really good day out and it's a shame some of the planes were grounded. Suncream is always a must lol!! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree even though I don't know much about aviation. I was caught up in the enthusiasm and passion for the great outdoors and keeping the love for it in the family.

      Delete
  4. Ive never been. Im sure my husband would love to take the girls to one of these though.

    #bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a great day out for the family

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful day out made even better by the good weather #blogginggoodtime@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was Karen. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. My husband would absolutely love this! #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like another fantastic day out! We try to go to Herne Bay air show in Kent each year but sadly can't make it this August. I love seeing the Red Arrows, and a few years ago the Vulcans last flight was quite something to see.

    Thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. The Red Arrows are fantastic it's a pity you are missing out this year.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the look of this, just the kind of place we love to take our kids. A great way to learn a little history and enjoy a day out. The old pram tale takes me back, I had an old fashioned pram for the triplets as it was large enough to fit all three in for the first couple of months, it always created an interest wherever ever I went, even more so when people looked inside to see 3 babies! My kids would have loved the old planes and would certainly have wanted a tank ride.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing with me how you used to get out and about with the triplets. Flywheel is definitely a great family fun day out especially if you like vehicles of all descriptions.

      Delete
  9. What a fab day out! My boys would love it there. Glad you all had a fab time :)

    Thanks for being part of #MMBC. Have a lovely weekend and see you Monday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne it certainly was an enjoyable day out for all

      Delete
  10. Looks like an ace day and lots of fun X #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was. Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  11. I've never been to one, which is terrible considering 5 minutes away they run a massive one every year!! I just watch the planes fly over my house instead! #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you should the crowd atmosphere is wonderful

      Delete
  12. I have to say I've never been to an air show but my two love looking at planes so maybe we should look a local one up x
    #ForTheLoveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spotted the posters for this a while ago, but didn't put it in the diary so missed it. Looks like it was something a bit different #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity you missed out. Perhaps one to go to next year.

      Delete
  14. What a fab place to visit. So pleased the weather was with you. We've been caught out with the suncream too! #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no it's not pleasant being without suncream

      Delete
  15. My husband would be in his element here. We haven't been to an air show for a while but we have been to Cosford air museum where he was able to look around some fabulous planes. It sounds like you had a wonderful day, and you are right about the suncream, you can never tell how the day is going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosford is a long way away from us but my husbands seen photos of it. I think I've learned the hard way that suncream is incredibly important in summer no matter whether it looks like a wash out or not during summer.

      Delete
  16. Air shows are great fun, and I love that one was made at home. Fabulous! #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so cool! Thank you for sharing.
    Also, eggs straight from the farm are the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a great day out. It must have been lovely to see the old planes flying. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a a great day out. Shame about the wind getting in the way of the timetable. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. We were blessed to be in the company of experienced pilots and owners

      Delete
  20. I love an air show display! Sounds like quite a busy and fun-filled day out #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great event and definitely packed full of fun

      Delete
  21. Looks like such a great day out! Love that photo of the planes flying in formation.
    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks like you had an amazing day - it must've been the weekend for it as I was at a festival, too!
    I love air festivals, there's something magical about these old majestic flying machines.
    So glad you had a good day, despite the wind!
    #WoTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did. Festivals shout summer don't you think?

      Delete
  23. Sounds like fun, might have to give Fly Wheel a try. We went to Duxford Imperial War Museum recently, we didn't see the airshow but the place was spectacular nonetheless. #familytraveltips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great festival that I can see only gaining in popularity

      Delete
  24. Sounds great - and love the historical element. Nine years ago we went to our first air festival at Duxford and despite having a brilliant time we'v not made it to another one yet. And now I'm wondering why not! Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I may have inspired you to go to another air show

      Delete
  25. That sounds like it was a wonderful day out and it must have been so interesting to watch the planes. Always nice when everyone is friendly and welcoming too :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love going to airshows. There is one near us that we used to go to every year when I was younger and then it was cancelled. Last year it started up again and I took my oldest along, it was a fantastic day out. These tank rides sounds great!
    #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  27. It sounds like a lovely day such a shame about the wind though, although I bet it was still great to see the planes x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh this looks such a fabulous day out. I love an airshow and heritage attractions. How lovely everyone was so friendly too. Thanks for linking up to #familytraveltips

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't think I've ever been to a proper airshow, it looks like a great family day out. Finn would love the planes, he always stops and listens when he hears one so this would be so exciting! I love that everyone was friendly and eager to share their passion with you. Looks like you enjoyed it. Thanks for joining us again at #AdventureCalling

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my eldest boy would love this festival as he's mad about planes. It's so cool that a couple of people their had. Holy their own and were happy to talk to everyone about them. Thanks for joining us on #adventurecalling I hope you can again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks like a fab day out, despite the weather. I haven't been to an airshow since I was a teenager and went with my parents but I always used to find them really interesting. #SharingTheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  32. You got some fab pictures! Looks like you had a great time, my boys would love this! #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh this sounds brilliant, I hadn't heard of this airshow and it's not too far from us. I love an airshow, we go most years to one although sadly I missed it this year as I had work to catch up on so the rest of the family went without me :( Thanks for linking up to #familytraveltips
    Nat.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment