This Summer Step into The Story Museum

When hubby and I first got together we took a walk around Oxford city together and coming across the Bridge of Sighs I mentioned to him about Oxford’s literary connection. I assumed he wouldn't be interested but he was keen to hear what I had to say.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum


Fast forward a few years and as you can tell from my monthly posts on the girls books that I am keen to instil in the girls a love of reading. So when The Story Museum in Oxford asked us whether we’d like to visit I instantly accepted. So during the heat wave we strolled into town with the girls in the pushchair and made our way to the museum which is tucked down Pembroke Street.


This Summer Step into The Story Museum


As we entered the court yard we were a tad confused as to where the ticket office was but were soon advised by a couple sat at a table that it was where the cafe was. It turned out that the courtyard isn't just home to the museum but an arts gallery and bike repair centre too. Once the tickets/wrist bands had been obtained we parked our pushchair in the designated area and made our way to the museum.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum

Spread over a number of floors each room is designated to a different exhibition and installation. We started at the top of the building where it was Time for Bed. Stories could be accessed via wooden lockers and an accompanying toy could be held. There were a few different sized beds that made hubby think of Goldilocks and the Three Bears and a lullaby room that had lulled a number of cuddly toys to sleep.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum

On another floor an exhibition called Animal: a safari through stories appeared before us. Hubby and the eldest enjoyed putting black and white tin cans in the Pied Piper of Hamelin installation. While the youngest took a liking to the fox from Aesop’s Fables and I was drawn in by a display dedicated to my favourite author Michael Morpurgo on The War Horse. Michael Morpurgo can also be seen being interviewed alongside other authors on television screens on the same floor.  I found this section a little dark especially when asked what my demon was!

This Summer Step into The Story Museum


Working our way down stairs we were confronted by the lovely Wonderland. I loved that the hats were hung from the ceiling and thought it would make for a good fancy dress session. I also liked the mirror which looked like it had come from a fun fair. Eldest loved mark making on the paper on the table and playing with the picnic set at her level in the corner.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum

Whenever we came across people around the site they’d insisted that we visit the Narnia installation. This was a lovely exhibition and we all got to step through the wardrobe just as the children did and meet the queen and see her sleigh. Sadly one of the coats hung up in the wardrobe came down making me wonder whether it should have been sewn in place. There were two schools in the building at the time we visited so I imagine the kids had a lot of fun running through the area.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum


Of all the installations I think my eldest was impressed with the Talking Throne the most. She ignored the fancy dress but kept climbing up onto the throne and letting it announce her.

This Summer Step into The Story Museum


There is so much to the Story Museum that it really does keep you captivated for ages and we loved that every part of the museum was built with children in mind. There are no vases on seats and there’s something for everyone no matter how old you are. Being on different levels we didn't feel it pushchair accessible but nothing beats a baby snuggle right?

So this summer why not step into The Story Museum and discover facts about our fictional world?


Laura's Lovely BlogCulturedKids
Wander MumThe PramshedKCACOLSDiary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyMum Muddling Through

Comments

  1. Oh wow another amazing place you've discovered! This looks a really quirky place - perfect for a rainy day activity...
    Thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this place looks amazing. I'd be there tomorrow if we lived closer!
    #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an amazing place to visit, fab for bookworms like me! #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah wow! Reasons to visit oxford huh. Gonna pin this to remind me.

    #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely museum. It looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for the review. Pen x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks lovely, if we get to Oxford we will check it out #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I wish there was something like that near me. My kids would probably love it, but I would DEFINITELY love it!

    #KCACOLS

    (Jenny - from Accidental Hipster Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love taking my son to museums; it’s a great idea. I’m also a huge fan of instilling the love of reading at a young age. Glad you all had a great time at the story museum with your family. #KCACOLS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like such a fun place to visit! We love books in our house as well #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds a lovely place to visit! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a good idea! I'm disappointed that I live so far away, I think I'd love it nevermin Hugo haha! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great place to visit, I know my little girl would love this #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool and eclectic little place. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this looks like a good day out for something a bit different for the family. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. We visited Oxford recently and I really wish I has known about this place, it looks fab. Definitely one to see next time we visit x
    Thanks for joining #ForTheLoveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds interesting. I love anything that brings you into the world of fiction and fairytales. I will definitely look this up if I'm ever in the area. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like such a wonderful place to let imaginations run wild! Perfect for avid readers - I was definitely one of those as a child! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely. The throne looks lovely. I would love to go through the wardrobe to Narnia.
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun museum; it sounds like you had a great time in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a fab day out. I'll have to remember this in case I'm ever nearby #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! This looks like a fantastic place to visit. I love the sound of the wardrobe through to Narnia x #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is on my wish list of places to visit!! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Returning with #KCACOLS, congratulations on being a co-host xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would absolutely love to visit The Story Museum! Thank you for sharing the post, it looks even more amazing than I imagined!

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  25. Me again, just popping over from #KCACOLS. This is def on my list for Oxford x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful place and perfect for book worms. I hope that my girls follow in my footsteps and have a love of books. thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to visit. Sounds amazing and my wife is a lit major and would love it. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my this place looks AMAZING! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks like such an amazing day out! Just up my street! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks like a very cool place. My daughter would love it! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  31. This place looks right up our street. Such a fantastic place for children. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! We have been to Oxford several times now but never to this museum! It looks amazing, forget the kids - I'D love it!! Thank you for joining us at #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean it's a great place for all book lovers

      Delete
  33. oh wow how absolutely cool is that. i want a bed in a tent like that to read in!
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was tempted too but hubby wasn't having it.

      Delete
  34. Wow! That looks like an amazing place! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow - this place looks amazing. I'd be wild about the Narnia section, despite the tumbling coats! I didn't know it was quite so extensive - you've really helped bring the place to life in this post. Thanks for sharing with #CulturedKids

    ReplyDelete
  36. We have a Children's Book Museum in The Hague, which both me and my son thought was awesome. Our son loves reading (well, us reading to him that is, he's almost 4 now). This looks like a place we'd really enjoy too! #culturedkids

    ReplyDelete
  37. I suspect this could only exist in England - it the very best possible way! Quirky and fun - I love it! #culturedkids

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a wonderful idea! I'd love to step through the wardrobe into a place like this with my kids. Posts like this make me wonder why there aren't more museums like this one. Thanks! #CulturedKids

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the idea of a talking throne! Thank you for linking up with #Culturd!ids

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'd never heard of this please but I love the sound of it - so creative. #culturedkids

    ReplyDelete
  41. I didn't even know there was such thing as a story museum! Sounds good though, and looks like a lovely day out.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've never heard of this place but it looks like a great place to visit.
    #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm not familiar the story museum but it looks like a fun place. to visit. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  44. This looks like such a wonderful museum! I've never heard of it, but I am going to research it. Thanks for linking up to #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is super interesting and I love the idea of a story museum and especially the goldilocks looking bed.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I hadn't heard of this museum in Oxford. It sounds fascinating. I'd love to step through the Narnia installation. This was one of my favourites as a child.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment