The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

Driving through the countryside on Saturday we were reminded of the geocache trails that we’d done in the area a long time ago. Today we were back for another reason and that was to visit the Westonbirt National Arboretum and undertake the Gruffalo trail. Having seen a number of other bloggers do it we were tempted to give it a go ourselves.

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

We pulled into the spacious car park and as soon as we got out of our car were blown away by the landscape awaiting exploration. From the car park we also saw a bridge that looked so high up that called to our sense of adventure.  

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

Once inside the arboretum we discovered that the bridge led to the start of the Gruffalo Trail and along it were signs about the trees. My eldest tried to walk along the bridge by herself but was aware of the small gaps beneath her feet and with every step she took it seemed as if she was worried she may fall through. I'm sure she wouldn't have but stopping to see things from their point of view is beneficial if you want a trip to go well. 

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum


Once safely across the bridge we spotted the start of the Gruffalo trail. We took out our Gruffalo activity pack we had bought for £3 at the entrance to the arboretum and quickly tried to work out what we were supposed to do. The pack contained a booklet, stickers and a small pencil which aided us through activities such as Identifying animal parts through a spinner to looking through a sign that was cut out in the shape of binoculars. Once we had gone through the first set of activities to identify one animal the same activities were used to discover the next and hubby soon realised there’s colour coordination so you can’t go far wrong. My children are both too young to do reading and writing activities but they are familiar with the book and with a little encouragement my eldest was able to tell us what each animal pictured on the sign was and identify the matching sticker. 

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

The trail was fairly flat so easily completed by buggy and on foot. There were points of interest such as a wooden figure along the way and we also spotted many bluebells that made the area have a magical appeal for young and old alike. 

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

I had assumed that the trail would have us end and start at the bridge but this was not the case. Instead we ended up several metres away from an old geocache that had been placed in 2003 and of course we had to claim a find on this one.

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum


Then we headed back towards the main visitor centre where we could listen to hand held telephones and tap screens to hear about the trees and arboretum. We spent two hours at the arboretum in total but could have easily spent longer there had we packed our own lunch or dined out in the on-site restaurant.

The Gruffalo Trail at Westonbirt Arboretum

If we were to return then I would have a look at what events are on for the family and also undertake the 
free family activity trail too. 

Have you been to the Westonbirt Arboretum?

We paid £20 in total to enter the arboretum (£10 each adult)and £3 for a Gruffalo Pack. Our children who are under the age of five got in for free. We thought that the adult passes were a tad expensive but assume the money goes to a good cause.


Laura's Lovely BlogNaptime NatterCountry Kids from Coombe Mill Potty AdventuresMy Petit CanardReflections From MeExtraordinary ChaosRhyming with WinePlutonium SoxCulturedKidsUntold Morsels

Comments

  1. I'm in the US and no I've never been there but looks like a great place to take a stroll and have an adventure. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a lovely place to relax and spend time.

      Delete
  2. Awww, I've always loved sharing The Gruffalo with kids at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia Donaldson has created some fantastic books hey

      Delete
  3. We live near Westonbirt and enjoy regular trips there - the treetop walkway is a favourite. Sadly my kids are too old for the Gruffalo now (but I'm not!) #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky. It's a beautiful area. Pity your children have missed out on The Gruffalo.

      Delete
  4. This is really quite close to where we live! We visit at least a couple of times a year but we haven't tried out the Gruffalo trail yet. My youngest won't put his feet down on the bridge either;) Thanks for linking to #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in a beautiful area of the country.

      Delete
  5. That does look like a fun day out! We haven't tried a Gruffalo Trail yet but I know the kids would love it! #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was. Such a beautiful place and full of interesting sights.

      Delete
  6. I So want to take Erin on one of these I know she would love it. The new app is fantastic too! #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't use apps but I've heard mixed emotions about it.

      Delete
  7. many times over the years with the kids, my niece would love the Gruffalo trail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a fan of the book then I'm sure you'll love it

      Delete
  8. These Gruffalo trails always look like so much fun! My girls are older but I still think they would love this.
    #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a fan of Julia Donaldson's work then this trail is for you

      Delete
  9. We also did one of these at Haldon Forest near Exeter. Glad you had a lovely day. #adventurecalling 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to venture to Exeter with the family

      Delete
  10. This is one of our favourite places to visit. We had a subscription one year and it was great to go back through the seasons. My three children have grown out of wanting to follow a Gruffalo trail now, but I suspect they would still have fun spotting them as we walked. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what beauty would await in each month there. This is a fun trail for everyone.

      Delete
  11. I haven't been here but done Gruffalo trails in other places. Looks like a great day out #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like that the carvings here are for real. The Forestry Commission sites are great for older kids but taking a photo that is only with an on line picture just doesn't work with little ones, this on the other hand looks great. It made me smile you carrying over the slatted pathway. I remember doing the same with mine when they were young on Brighton Pier, it is an odd sensation for littler ones seeing the ground far below. I bet this is a lovely place to visit in any season, there is so much to see.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one place I'd love to return to one day perhaps with the girls grandparents

      Delete
  13. Haha, I posted about the exact same thing here: http://helloarchie.blue/posts/all-was-quiet-in-the-deep-dark-wood-the-mouse-found-a-nut-and-the-nut-was-good
    It's fab isn't it? It was even better than I thought it would be and the kids loved it. Such a good experience. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a good time and looks like a lovely place to visit #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have never been to Westonbirt Arboretum, but it does look like a lovely day out. It's nice to do something a bit outdoorsey that the little ones can connect to. We have been planning a trip to one of the Gruffalo trails! Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. Your little girl will love it I'm sure.

      Delete
  16. Oh yay, this was on your bucket list this month wasn't it!? Well done! I think we have a gruffalo trail near us in the lakes but think I'd have to wait a few years for Robert to appreciate it. It looks really well done and organised. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. I think it's great for those 2 upwards.

      Delete
  17. I always love looking at what you've been up to, think I need to come hang out with you! #mg

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a great activity for kids but seems rather expensive when you have to pay extra for the kids passes too! #adventurecalling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little ones got in for free but had they been a lot older than they'd have had to use their pocket money ;)

      Delete
  19. I wish we had these trails in Scotland! Our local botanic gardens had one a couple of years ago using life size statues but they only seemed to be there for one year which is a real shame. Looks like you all had great fun! #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. Does Julia Donaldson's work have less of an appeal there?

      Delete
  20. Looks like you had a fab day out. We really enjoyed the Gruffalo trail at Delamere too

    #adventurecalling

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds great. Shame it's a bit too far away for me and the grandkids.
    #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how places now cater so well for children these days, and this sounds like a lot of fun. My eldest daughter is nearly 40 and still has issues crossing bridges with gaps in, maybe cos her younger sister use to stomp her way across the ones we had to cross when they were young shouting for a troll to come and get her sister. She logically knows that a) there is no troll and b) she is not going to fall through but it still makes her uncomfortable. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I can understand the fear she has. I'm a tad nervous when it comes to grates in towns and cities.

      Delete
  23. We did a Gruffalo trail last year and it was great fun! I think anything that encourages children to get outside and enjoy being in nature is a good thing! #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is super cool. We went to the gruffalo trail last year and loved it. I would like to check out another one. It looks like a lot of fun and glad to hear the trail was flat for the pushchair! Thanks for linking up to #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think they did really consider people of different abilities

      Delete
  25. I've never been to Westonbirt Arboretum but I've read several blog posts about it and it sounds like a lovely place to visit, if perhaps a little on the expensive side. Love the look of that bridge and the Gruffalo trail sounds like fun :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your girls would love it Louise x

      Delete
  26. Oh help! Oh no! It's a Gruffalo! My kids would love this walk. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing on #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it certainly sparks the imagination doesn't it.

      Delete
  27. I've never been to Wesonbirt Arboretum, even though I used to live in Bristol. It sounds gorgeous though, and we enjoyed another Gruffalo Trail that we did in Bedgebury Pinetum. Thanks for linking up with #CulturedKids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure sounds like there are quite a few trails about

      Delete
  28. Looks like a fab place to go (will have to look it up as I have no idea where it is in relation to me!) #familytraveltips

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ive not been there before, but we have done a Gruffalo Trail before. The kids absolutely adore the book! Looks like there is so much to do around Bristol! #familytraveltips

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everytime I see a post about Westonbirt, I really want to go! It always looks like such an amazing place to explore, and I bet it changes beautifully through the seasons. I also want to try out gruffalo trail, I may well do one this week round here as it looks like great fun. I love how you always find time to squeeze a bit of geocaching into your day! #AdventureCalling

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh amazing, my girls love the gruffalo and we're not far from Westonbirt. It's somewhere I've always wanted to go. I'm going to check out when it's on until. Thanks so much for linking up to #FamilyTravelTips.
    Nat.x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I keep meaning to go to Westonbirt Arboretum. I hear it's wonderful for Autumn colours. I love the sound of a Gruffalo Trail. What a great idea to get kids excited about a walk in the park! Thanks for sharing on #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
  33. Westonbirt is on my list. I love the Gruffalo, we spent hours snuggled up together reading about the Big Bad Mouse and his adventures, a chance to follow in his foot steps would be fantastic #CulturedKids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment