Our Visit to Roves Farm

Hidden away in the area of Wiltshire is a long dirt track leading to the delightful Roves Farm. We’d visited the farm before so we knew what turning we were looking for even if we’d approached it slightly differently. It was late in the day so there were only a couple of other cars in the car park as we turned in. Of course we were there to take in a few of the geocaches that were scattered about the grounds but we couldn't help take in the animals too as the paths we took to them took us straight past them. The girls were treated to alpacas, sheep and their lambs and donkeys. My hubby is not a fan of donkeys and thinks they’re a bit like cats in that they are plotting against him! 


Once past these we didn't see any for a while but I was very interested in the informative signs dotted about the grounds and it looked like there had been the odd letter boxing game set up or equivalent as there were spots in which the children could use some of the stamps to mark make on their hands or books. Sadly some of these were in desperate need of new stamps and looked like someone had cut them clean off! Once I’d shown my eldest these stamping stations she was intrigued to see what animals/insects she would see next on a stamp. 

We let hubby stroll off for a number of the geocaches but he called us over to see this delightful one that was a cross between a bird box and an insect house. There was a drop down hatch at the bottom where a fake spider fell out as you reached for the geocache. My eldest had great fun opening and shutting it so it would fall down. 



On the return journey we saw some cattle. I reminisced with hubby as to them being the favourite animal of a lady who once taught me how to make clay sculptures. She’d take the clay and strain it through a sieve to make the hair. Of course our visit also took us past a bookcrossing geocache which led me to wonder whether it was still there or not. It was and the girls looked through the box with us turning the pages of the children’s books that had been stored away in the plastic tub. 


Once back at the car we made our way back up the dirt track and couldn't help but stop to see the pigs. My husband used to have a job looking after pigs so could teach the girls about them and share in his experience with them. 


Have you been to a farm recently?

Country Kids from Coombe MillUntold MorselsPotty AdventuresTwo Tiny HandsCuddle FairyRun Jump Scrap!Diary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyMum Muddling Through


Comments

  1. I think our husbands would get along. Yours isn't keen on donkeys and their plotting. Mine thinks that Alpacas have sinister eyes. The farm looks lovely and nice that you've got the geocaching as well. #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geocaching does take us to some lovely places

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lovely farm and nice photos of your day out. I think my girls would enjoy the fake spider too! #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love a good farm visit, it's great fun! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely day out - I ADORE highland cattle! Och Aye The Moo!

    Thanks for sharing with #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful farm to visit. Yes we love going to the farm too. My boys love feeding the animals and having a pony ride too. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls have yet to experience pony rides. They do like their rocking horse so they may well want to try the real thing.

      Delete
  6. ah what a gorgeous place to visit! We were in a farm near Tisbury last weekend, it was so nice! #sharingthebloglove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Have you written about it?

      Delete
  7. How beautiful is that cow?! I always love a trip to the farm, and my son loves a tractor ride, so it's a win for all of us. How funny about the donkeys though, I've always thought they were fairly inoffensive! Chickens on the other hand I'm not keen on at all!! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are stunning aren't they. It's funny how this one seemed to listen in to our conversation. Sounds like people have different animals that they don't take too.

      Delete
  8. I'd say those were Gloucester Old Spot pigs. Our daddy is like this and our Mummy an English Saddleback. They are together right now in hope of piglets at the end of August. Roves farm sounds like it has something for everyone, a little geocaching and animals to spot. That is one fluffy alpaca, I bet he has been feeling hot this past week. We are trying to contact our shearer at the moment but there is only one in the UK and he has to get round them all! Fingers crossed we are next and Roves farm too.

    Thank you for sharing your time there on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find piglets so sweet. I look forward to seeing potos of them if they do appear on your farm. I'm sure you're right regards the alpaca in need of a hair cut. Why is there only one shearer in the UK?!

      Delete
  9. Hi Helena, geocaching really gets you out and about! My husband used to really hate cats until we were adopted by a feral one, now he will actually stroke her when she asks (she has a way of letting you know she wants to be petted!).... If I had opened that geocache I swear I would have wet myself! I really do not like spiders, especially ones designed to surprise! The shock may even have killed me!

    Roves farm seems to have some lovely looking animals, perfect for encouraging children to ask and learn about them.

    Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. I'm not so keen myself on the little critters either unless they are the tiny money ones. Roves Farm certainly does appear to look after the animals and fields surrounding them.

      Delete
  10. Ah sounds like a lovely day and a geocache to boot! Mine didn't used to like the farm but I think I converted them on our last trip...success! Thanks for joining us at #familyfun x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love a trip to the farm, especially if they have sessions where you can hold the animals. My girls love it. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know whether you can pet these animals we just looked at them in front and behind the lens.

      Delete
  12. We haven't been to a farm recently, although we do live next to one, but it's really just a cow farm with a bit sheep. Would love to visit this kind of farm though. Looks so much fun! #countrkykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does seem like a very welcoming farm.

      Delete
  13. Aww what cute animals! We havent been to any farm or zoo lately and this post made me miss going =)

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  14. Combining a farm visit with geocaching sounds like a perfect day out. Love the look of the insect house/bird box geocache - my youngest would love opening it to make the spider fall down too :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is for us. I'm considering getting one of those bug homes for our garden.

      Delete
  15. I can't believe that your husband doesn't like donkeys! Cats I can understand-but cute little donkeys?! I love reading about your geocaching adventures. You always go to some great places and I love how imaginative some of the caches are. Thanks so much for sharing with us #AdventureCalling

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post. It sounds like you all had great fun. I've often thought that cats were plotting against me but never donkeys haha. I'm going to keep an eye on them from now on! I love that someone had put a drop down spider in the geocache box too. Thanks for joining us on #adventurecalling, I hope you can again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment