Our Impromptu Visit to Cirencester Amphitheatre

We recently had plans to visit Malmesbury and explore the area via geocaches there. However, when hubby turned on the gps he discovered not a single geocache in the area had been downloaded to the device. I asked whether he’d checked that they’d downloaded correctly to the gps before we set out but alas he hadn't.
Our Impromptu Visit to Cirencester Amphitheatre

Lesson learnt we decided that rather return home straight away we would venture into nearby Cirencester. I've picked up a few preloved treasures while there before most notably a gorgeous pink runner and a few pieces for the girls so it came as no surprise to hubby that I found a few more pieces this time too. Cirencester used to be home to a wonderful cafe too but alas it ceased to exist sometime last year so no more homemade cake and tea sadly.

Our Impromptu Visit to Cirencester Amphitheatre

On the way back to the car we decided to take a look at the historic site of the Cirencester Amphitheatre. While the structure itself is long gone you can still see where it used to be and our eldest had great fun walking up and down the hill hand in hand with us being careful not to fall off the edges. Then I thought it would be great fun to roll down them together and get covered in freshly cut grass much to hubby’s horror.

Our Impromptu Visit to Cirencester Amphitheatre

If you are a planning a visit to the area then it’s possible to park rather close and use the top gate to get in. We used our double buggy to get about but it may have been easier to have baby in her carrier while the eldest ran about and burnt off some energy before returning to the car where she fell asleep.

Have you visited Cirencester before? What treasures have you discovered recently? 

Country Kids from Coombe MillMorgan PrinceUntold MorselsPotty AdventuresRhyming with WineExtraordinary ChaosMy Petit CanardReflections From Me

Comments

  1. Ah you must live not so far from me - I'm about 15 mins south of Malmesbury! Sorry you didn't have much luck with your geocaching trip, but glad you made something of the day still! I've still not gone to the amphitheatre in Cirencester, but do want to stop by at some point... #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't get more fun than rolling down a hill! I didn't know about Cirencester amphitheatre. Shame there is nothing left of the structure although nothing a bit of imagination can't fix! #mondayescapes

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've only just recently discovered geocaching and need to do a bit more, sorry you weren't succesful. #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I've never heard of Cirencester, or Malmesbury! I do love me some preloved treasures, though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when unexpected events turn out to be a new adventure, rolling down hills is such fun, I can see why she needed a nap lol. #mg

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks lovely and that looks like one of those hills that would be perfect to roll down!! Thanks for linking to #marvmondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love visiting Cirencester. We lived in South Africa and many people would laugh at me not being able to say some of the place names there, so I'd write down Cirencester and ask them how to say it, they never got it right #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so interesting that you can still see where it was, it looks like a lovely place to visit. Thanks so much for linking up and heres hoping this works #MondayEscapes xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't been here but we have English Heritage membership this year so are trying to get to as many as possible #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had absolutely no idea Cirencester had an amphitheatre, what a gorgeous place! Another one for the UK list! :) #farawayfiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roly polys are the best, aren't they? Shame your visit to Cirencester didn't work out as you planned but it was obviously worth going. Thanks for sharing on #FarawayFiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you had a lovely time even if it wasn't what you had intended to do....
    #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes days don't go according to plan, this is not important, what is important is how you turn them around. Cirencester Amphitheater looks a great place to go rolling down the hills and enjoy some classic childhood fun. I have very vague recollection of a school trip here when I was not much older than your daughter. I'm sure we rolled down the banks too!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have never been before, but this looks like a great place to visit for a bit of good old fresh air and a run around. Love rolling down hills! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I went on a school trip here when I was quite little, I remember being really amazed by it all :) Glad your day turned out an unexpected treat #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not stopped at Cirencester for years - mostly for roman school visits. I'd say you were right to hill roll! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've never been to Cirencester before, but we're members of the English Heritage, would love to be able to visit someday. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to live near Cirencester but I never visited amphitheatre - oops! #Pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fascinating looking place, and well, you can't beat rolling down a hill can you? Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that even if your day didn't go as planned, you still have fun. Sometimes the best adventures are the spontaneous ones, afterall what is more fun than rolling down a grassy hill?! You will have to go back another day and do some geocaching. Thanks for joining us #AdventureCalling

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've never been to Cirencester but it sounds like a lovely, charming place. I've made similar errors to your hubby so I feel for him. Admittedly not geocaching related but things like forgetting matches or a lighter when taking the the family our for a sunrise hike and promising to cook them breakfast on the stove while they sat and enjoyed the views haha. Thanks for joining us on #adventurecalling, I hope you can again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never visited Cirencester but your photos make it look lovely. Thanks for linking to #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a sucker for ancient sites such as this. My crew would have LOVED rolling down the hill!
    #Adventurecalling

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment