Educating My Eldest

Eldest and I love to get creative and share in our passion for art and crafts. Working together on little projects has led me to get her a little scrapbook aimed at children in which to store all her artistic efforts, practice new techniques and have fun.



There are numerous ways in which we could use this book. So far we have tried painting, using glitter and stamping as you can see above.


However, we could also fill it with photos of her creative efforts in chalk and pen. We could have put her nature collage in the book too but alas as soon as it got put together it got took apart. 


A flower press could also be put to good use with daisies and dandelions to name a couple of wild flowers that could be contained in the book but we have yet to try this. As her skills in scribbling become more identifiable she could even draw what she can see around her.


This would in turn lead me to pass on my teachings I was passed by family friends as a youngster and school. I'm sure she’d love to hear how I was taught to draw faces and not just the object but that of the area around it. Drawing plants could lead to a little introduction to Latin and we all learnt about the different parts of a flower when we young right? Small scientific projects such as mini volcanoes and making other things could also be photographed and documented in this book too. All these teachings could lead to a home school education of sorts and lots more scrapbooks. 

But will education inside and outside of school be too much for a little one? Where do you draw the line when it comes to educating your kids? Do you leave it all up to the school in which they will one day attend or do you aid in their learning somehow?

Two Tiny HandsCuddle FairyRun Jump Scrap!Diary of an Imperfect MumDear Bear and BeanyMum Muddling Through


Comments

  1. I'm sure you're already helping your child's learning in a fun way through everyday experiences. Reading, talking and playing will all help her to learn and she can learn things through everyday activities, e.g. recognising letters on signs and numbers in shops. I have a blogpost on Story Snug called 'Literacy & Numeracy activities to prepare a child for school' which shows how much learning your child experiences through everyday activities but I personally didn't do anything formal, they are so little when they start school that I think they should have as much fun beforehand!!

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to have a read of it. Thank you. Fun sure sounds the way to go.

      Delete
  2. This scrap book idea is lovely. We have lots of things pinned on the wall but nowhere for them to go after that. I think I might start a scrap book with my girls. #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a joint project/adventure to me brewing

      Delete
  3. We tried with little bits and bobs with the Tubblet but didn't make it formal, more fun. If the children enjoy it, then I don't see why not. It's good to pass things on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea...in some countries parents see that school should not be the centre of learning and parents should be more involved. I try to support learning where I can but I think it just depends on the type of parent and indeed person you are! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub with this xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I've seen two types of parenting and think that children should be nourished with education and it shouldn't be forced upon them.

      Delete
  5. I think the scrapbook idea is great. I have to say that Grace is at an age where she gets a lot of homework and a lot of that is creative. I tend to sit down with her and give her some help - but she does the majority. She even made my birthday card last night! #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It sounds like you have a really sweet child and one that is older than mine.

      Delete
  6. This is a lovely idea, I especially love the one with all of the dandelions and what a great to get kids to be creative and explore the world too. Thank you so much for the kind comments on my last post too! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's great that kids learn and explore the world.

      Delete
  7. I think as long a skids are showing an interest then roll with it. On our journey to nursery at the moment there is some scaffolding up on a building. Every morning for the last 3 weeks Amelia has asked me "tell me about those poles mummy" so we have been doing lots of things around construction to complement her fascination! #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful idea; we do try to keep a portfolio of artwork for each of the boys and often that includes photos of those that we can't save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a shame we can't save it all but photographing it certainly helps.

      Delete
  9. I loved scrapbooking as a child and went through so many different strands with it. I collected stamps, pressed flowers, as well as using it for all my different art projects. My Mum was a teacher and definitely encouraged my learning outside of school as well as in it. Mind you, I never got the level of homework that kids get these days -homework just wasn't a thing until senior school! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do sound like they get lots more homework these days! I think I will play to her sense of enjoyment

      Delete
  10. Scrap booking the art is a great idea. I plan to do a photo version for my little one day... never worry about teaching your kid alongside school, all the stuff your are doing with her is fun and interesting if she isn't interested then don't force it on her. Young kids are like sponges and want to learn and have your attention so what your doing is perfect. Although I'm no professional of course. 😂

    ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the scrap book, its a fab idea. I think educating your kids in and outside of school is totally fine as long as there are equal measures of fun and freedom I don't seem the harm. I think lots of children enjoy it if I am honest. Thanks for sharing at #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother was more into scrapbooking when we were younger than I was. We teach our children as much as we can before they start school and now that Alice is in school we enhance her learning. She doesn't get homework, but we will work on things that she is doing in school. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment