How to Create Wall Art for Your Child's Bedroom

I'm a firm believer that education doesn't just take place in schools and you can learn something everywhere you go.  Here at home the girls are surrounded by toys that are educational from wooden clocks and alphabets to plenty of Orchard Toy Games that I've sourced from various places. Ok so they may be a little young at present to be learning letters and numbers but being familiar with them by seeing them every day can only be a good thing right? 

Alphabet wall art ready to be hung up


Therefore, when I spotted this alphabet Orchard Toys Game in a charity shop a while ago I decided that it would be a lovely idea to put it on display as wall art in the girls’ room. The girls’ bedroom is ever evolving and it’s only right that the teddy bear pictures come down at some point and get replaced.

Initially I thought I would have to cut this alphabet to size but fortunately the picture frame we bought after the alphabet puzzle was measured fitted perfectly. Being a puzzle we made sure that the picture frame would show the alphabet the right way round. We started by making sure that all the puzzle pieces were in order and then filled in the picture frame with them.  We then laid the original white paper insert over the back of the puzzle so that if there were any gaps at all it wouldn't show the wooden frame. When we were happy that it was all in place we secured everything using the metal bits on the frame.  Et voilĂ  one lovely piece of wall art for the girls’ room which is fun, brightly coloured and educational.  

As this worked out really well I'm now considering getting a number one for the other wall in their bedroom too so that they can familiarise themselves with them too.

Of course they have a duplicate Orchard Toys alphabet puzzle so they can use the one on the wall as a reference when putting that together.


Now one question remains - do I teach them phonetically or the old fashioned alphabet?! 



My Petit CanardOne Messy MamaReflections From MeKCACOLSRhyming with Wine

Comments

  1. This looks lovely :o) As a former reception teacher I would say that teaching letter recognition is enough for pre schoolers. I wouldn't expect any more than that when a child starts school. Later all the children in the class will be taught phonetics in the same way.

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, I've pinned it. I think children learn all the time. I get frustrated with the way the school teaches them. My kids went to school knowing the alphabet, but now they get confused because I didn't teach them phonetically and the school does.
    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! How lovely! What a great idea. Fun and educational too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah this looks just lovely! Thanks for sharing with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really lovely. Love the colours too. #marvmondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I loved Orchard Toy Games for my kids. They learnt English through the Letterland program and did very well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea for a display. It's such a good idea for them to have a puzzle to complete too. As a teacher I'd say you could do both but as this puzzle is showing lower case letters I'd show them the sounds the letters are making, if it were in capitals it would be its name (old fashioned alphabet). Happy learning! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant idea! This looks lovely. Teach them phonetically. #MG

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks lovely, and it's such a brilliant idea! Fun, happy decor and educational to boot. #mg

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an adorable idea. So colorful as well! This would look lovely in a baby room! Thanks for sharing #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so true that learning doesn't just happen in school! I love your wall art, it's a fab idea! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS, hope you come back again next Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute. What a great idea! My girls love puzzles, so this would be a great way to showcase their fun!
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. I think I taught my son the old fashioned way because we used to sing the ABC song, but then once he started school it was all phonetics and I think it confused him. This time round I'm going to go the phonetics route I think. Either that, or like some Mummy D said above, uppercase letters are the letter name (how you and I would say ABC) and lower case the letter sound (phonetics), which is what we moved onto with my son x
    #Mg

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic idea, I would never have thought to do this but it's so simple and cost effective X #mg

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to say simple ideas are always the best. This is right up there. I'm tempted to rifle through the charity shops now for puzzles and use these as pictures for the playrooms in our properties. Finding an Orchard Toys one would be a bonus!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great idea! I never would have thought about doing something like this. I love how creative it is :-) Phonics definitely seem to be the way to teach little ones letters these days, apparently it makes much more sense that way! Great post, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks amazing and so bright too. What a lovely idea :-) #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Superb idea! Might even try to make this for my alphabet addict 3yo! He'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't stress how you teach them, mine just learnt it normally and then at school they taught them differently, but the kids still understood and do it both ways. This looks great, you are so creative! #mg

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks so lovely and colourful. I definitely think they best approach is to have letters and numbers around if they want to know what they are they will ask and they will feel less pressure when they have to learn at school etc. #littlemakes

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks perfect - clear and colourful. #mg

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fantastic! Absolutely love Orchard Toys!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fab idea! We love Orchard Toys here. I bet the girls are delighted with their new picture :) x

    Thanks for being part of #MMBC. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea, and a pretty addition to baby's bedroom! We love ochard toys as well, and have this alphabet but in massive size. I never know whether to teach phonetically or the normal way either! #MakeItLinky

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea! I'm sure you girls love all the colorful letters. Great find! #makeitlinky

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's lovely idea to teach the little one easily .Plus it's unique decor .Loved this #mg

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely idea and so bright and cheery. I used a similar set picked up in a charity shop to cover a small coffee table which is still going strong! Good to have these lovely cards out on display :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a great idea! I love it. I think I will making some of this for my little girl using old jigsaw from her brother. :) #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fantastic idea - I completely agree too that you can use lots of things as wall art that serves as educational use too, kids love that! Thanks for linking to #dreamteam x

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a brilliant idea and something I'd never would've thought of doing! I'm definitely going to try something similar :)

    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a sweet idea! I love that they have the matching puzzle to do as well! It's such a lovely idea to have things like this on the wall - as you say to familiarise your children and make learning fun. It will help everything slot into place in their heads when they start school. x
    #MakeItLinky

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a lovely idea and a great way to brighten up a room.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment