What Books Did Eldest Get For Her Birthday?

As I struggled to get to sleep when I was little I used to read myself books to fall fast asleep and when I wasn't reading books myself my parents would read stories to me.  One of my favourite memories of being read a story was when a family friend came to stay and she made up a story about pirates which I loved so much that I wanted to write it down. Of course reading stories at a young age instilled a love of books in me that I hope to pass on to my girls. I've mentioned before how the girls have a bookcase in their bedroom full of books so there’s always something to read at bedtime and with eldest’s birthday earlier this month of course we added even more books to our growing collection.

Miffy's Birthday and The Storm Whale Books



One of which was sent by my sister in Utrecht.  Entitled The Storm Whale by Benji Davies the book tells the tale of a young boy who discovers a whale washed up on the beach and his attempts to look after it like a pet before he’s persuaded to return the whale to its rightful habitat. Its short sentences makes it perfect for early readers and the pictures featuring Noi, his father and the whale seemed to be very atmospheric I felt. I also thought there was an underlying message that it’s no fun being lonely was thought provoking.

Eldest Looking Through the Pages of a Book

The Storm Whale was a lovely book to receive for eldest’s birthday but of course one book is never enough right? So I also read eldest a book in keeping with her birthday called Miffy’s Birthday. We hope to one day visit the Miffy museum where my sister lives. Sadly just before the weekend we learnt of the author’s (Dick Bruna) death may he rest in peace.

Which children’s books have you been reading lately?





Laura's Lovely BlogMy Petit CanardRead With MeOne Messy MamaReflections From MeMummy Times TwoRhyming with Wine

Comments

  1. I love a book post! We are all in love with The Tiger Who Came To Tea again here. Pam Lorimer. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Storm Whale is one of my favourite picture books. Have you read The Storm Whale in Winter yet? It was published last year.

    #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore Miffy! And was so sad to hear that Dick Bruna passed away last week. We will be reading lots of Miffy in tribute to him. #readdwithme #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little man loves a good book... we read constantly! HIs favourites at the moment are David Walliams' 'The First Hippo on the Moon' and Mr Men Dinosaur one! Since birth he has been read the story book adaptation of Ringo Star's Octopus' Garden and LOVES it! <3 #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to steal this idea as my girls both have their birthdays this week! #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books make the best presents!! Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading! So nice to see someone getting books as a present! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely books to receive. Miffy is just a classic child's book, who could not adore that cute bunny #MMBC x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! What lovely books...I am not a big reader but my girls read most nights before bed :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look lovely. Miffy was a firm favourite of mine as a child. #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Miffy! Great choice, Always a favourite, I could quote this one by heart, my Mimi loves it. I'd heartily recommend "A Child of Books" for any child (or parent) - a beautiful book about the joy of.. books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a good book :) We're into puzzle books at the moment. Happy Birthday to your big girl... #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  13. It feels great to have met you Helena through this post. I love all things books and more so children's books and reading to my 5 year old son. I have been reading to him every day and night since the time he was 10 months old. It is such a pleasure to see the kids interested in books and watching them get lost in the lovely illustrations of a picture books. I loved the photo of your eldest one engrossed in her books.#mg

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love Miffy myself as a child! The whale book sounds lovely. Have you read The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler? It's actually my favourite of her books!
    My kids are much older (15, 13 and 10). My daughter and I read a lot of Jacqueline Wilson together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still love Miffy books :) So lovely

    ReplyDelete
  16. the Storm Whale has long been on my wanted list for my children. It looks like a great book x
    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to read my self to sleep too, I've always loved reading. These books look lovely! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like the birthday girl got two great presents. The whale book looks like one I should check out.
    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  19. WE have Miffy's Birthday book too and we were sad to hear of Dick Bruna's passing. #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Storm Whale is a wonderful book! My little one's current favourite is Owl Babies #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  21. Books are so so important, I loved reading so much as a child that I became an English teacher and chose to spend my life surrounded by them. Thank you so much for sharing this post with us at #PostsFromTheHeart and reminding us all just how important books really are.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Miffy was one of my favourites to read to my children, and I always sang the song to my eldest with her name instead of Miffy in it. I love books, and nothing makes me happier than seeing my childrens' love for books too. #mg

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww we love Miffy! Hope it was a fab birthday. Thanks so much for linking up to #dreamteam hope to see you next time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used to love Miffy, but we don't have any Miffy books here so my daughter doesn't know them, unfortunately. I'll have to get her one! #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think books make such a lovely gift. My daughter is loving the Maisy books at the moment. Thanks for linking up to #kltr

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such great books. If you get chance borrow The StormWhale in Winter from the library :) #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  27. Books are always a great option for gifts. thanks for linking up to #KLTR.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment