Review: Let Them Eat Dirt

With two under two it’s not always easy to find time for yourself and when I do I often end up feeling guilty for having a little time alone. A while ago I was sent the book ‘Let Them Eat Dirt: saving your child from an oversanitized world’ by B Brett Finlay, PhD and Marie-Claire Arrieta PhD.  I was envisioning a picture book that I could manage but what arrived was a 288 page turner!

Let Them Eat Dirt Book

Written by micro biologists the book questions whether we can live in harmony with microbes? For two hundred years microbes have been seen to cause infectious diseases and we have sought to eradicate them. However, by doing so has our obsession with cleanliness brought about modern day illnesses such as obesity, diabetes and asthma? Can early exposure to microbes actually be beneficial?

From the day they are born our children are exposed to a number of microbes whether they are in hospital or at home there’s no getting away from them. Even the great outdoors, toddler groups and everyday places we go are riddled with microbes. Young children (especially babies) are notorious for putting their hands, feet and objects in their mouths. By tasting the world around them they are forever coming into contact with microbes and as a result learning how to react to them. The microbes that our children come into contact with can influence their development and it is important that they don’t get an imbalance of them.

I particularly liked the examples strewn throughout the book that show what it’s like to live alongside microbes. From the city dwellers who went to live on a farm and what happens when someone who has had no contact with them suddenly does! 

This book acts as a guide to help you to nurture stronger, more resilient and healthier children from conception to childbirth and beyond. It reflects on the benefits of antibiotics and vaccinations.



Let Them Eat Dirt by B. Brett Finlay and Marie-Claire Arrieta is published by Windmill Books, £12.99.

Disclaimer: I was sent the book Let Them Eat Dirt for the purpose of this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Comments

  1. I've read several reviews of tis book. It sounds really interesting :)

    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting! I must say I'm a little obsessed with hand sanitiser, but only before eating. I know a little bit of dirt is definitely good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is for building the immune system.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting. I have never been one to worry too much about dirt. I always follow the 10 second rule - a quick blow and we're off! Alison x #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was pregnant with my babies I wouldn't even do that.

      Delete
  4. I just love the title of this and completely agree with it! Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title of this book just reminds me of eating mud as a child, oh and apparently as a toddler I wrapped a worm around my fist and sucked it, much to my Dad's horror! Urgh I was a disgusting child, but I was rarely ill, so maybe there is something in it, maybe a little dirt is beneficial. That said, I really hope no ones child does what I did! #MMBC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! My eldest has tried garden snail but not a worm! The book certainly seems to suggest that a little dirt may be beneficial and help with the immune system.

      Delete
  6. Oh I like the sound of this book! I'll have to check it out. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got this book on order from the library. Looking forward to reading it now.
    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a really interesting read and it's definitely a topic I agree with. I did fish a woodlouse out of my babies mouth a couple of months ago though, disgusting! #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously love the name of that book! I'll have to admit, my kids are always outside and I shudder to think what gets into their system, they do have great immune systems though :) ... #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting outside is wonderful for the fresh air and building that immune system is a good thing right?

      Delete
  10. sounds like a really fascinating read. We have become a society that is so afraid of germs and we forget that we need certain things to help build our natural immunity. With my background in Nursing I always worry how much people take antibiotics for viruses and reduce the effects of them working when they are actually needed. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed reading it although I've not been able to read it in one sitting sadly

      Delete
  11. I love the sound of this book and actually came across it on amazon the other day. I'm definitely going to consider getting this as I really do believe that we need a better balance between germs and sanitising when it comes to little ones. I think we may have swung the pendulum a little too far! Great review, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this! Dirt wins. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested this week x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment