Did You Celebrate Bonfire Night?

Over the weekend many people celebrated bonfire night. The pitch black sky was filled with colour and sparkle but alongside this beautiful display was a lot of noise. It is for this reason that we did not venture outside watching the local fireworks. It is for this reason we were snug in our home instead watching our favourite TV shows and reading books together.

Books on the sofa with the eldest


Now you may be wondering whether there’s something wrong with my girls hearing. No like lots of other babies mine were both tested not long after their birth for how well they heard and they immediately responded to the instrument that tested for it. No my little ones are like a lot of other little ones in that they are very sensitive to sound.

I first noticed this when I’d got out of the shower, picked up the hair drier directed it at my head and switched it on. In that instance my eldest had turned from a happy little baby to one very upset one. So I switched it off and dried my head with the towel instead. That was spring so the weather was warming up and summer was just around the corner. Now that it is autumn I feel I need to pick my moments for a shower and to dry my hair making sure that the hubby is distracting her from the noisy instrument of torture.

Driers are of course not confined to the home and when we go out and need to go to the bath rooms we’ll discover them there too. It got to a stage once where I thought I ought to tell people not to dry their hands as my little girl would burst into tears the moment they put their hands under them! Of course you can’t do that so I try to make our visits short and avoid visiting the rest rooms when possible.

I am unsure when driers will stop being a problem for my children but I don’t want to add fireworks to the mix just yet. Yes there was the odd baby friendly firework display dotted about England over the weekend but sadly there was not one in my county it seemed.


Did you take your child out to a local fireworks display? Let me know of your experiences in the comments section below. I look forward to reading what you have to say. 

Comments

  1. It's funny how babies react differently to different noises. I remember my nephew used to be petrified of the hoover - even looking at it caused him to burst in to tears! And my other nephew was scared of the electric food mixer which was a bit of a pain as my sister is a cake maker so it was often being used. Both of them eventually grew out of it, but I can see how you wouldn't want your little one introduced to noisy events unnecessarily right now. My little one loves the fireworks and currently doesn't seem bothered by the noise at all which is great as we could enjoy them without worrying about him #MarvMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww yes we seperate baby from the room that the hoover is in. My eldest likes to try and link it up if she can! Do you think she's trying to tell me something?!

      Delete
  2. My son is extremely sensitive to sound and hand dryers in public toilets were a massive problem for us. We do not celebrate fireworks night in Holland but we do have them at New Year and he does like that! I love the idea of baby friendly display. Thank you for linking up to #EatSleepBlogRT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's good that he loves them. Yes baby friendly displays sure seem the way to go.

      Delete
  3. How weird! My baby doesn't like it either! He would get mad! It must be the noise #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very sensitive I'm not sure to what pitch but I think they must have better hearing than most of us adults.

      Delete
  4. We are not keen on fireworks here. I'm scared of them, my eldest feels the cold too much and my youngest is deaf in one ear and is sensitive to the loud bangs...She hates hand driers too. x
    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls were with their Dad this weekend so they did go to a fireworks display, but Miss. L wasn't happy about it at all. Like me she is scared of fireworks. Poor thing, I need to arrange the calendar so they're with me next year #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids were often afraid of the fireworks (mainly for the sounds). I can remember sitting in our car to watch them and he'd still be wearing earmuffs or headphones to block the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the noise definitely sets them off. Maybe the suddenness of it as well! There will be many fireworks for them to enjoy once they are older. My daughter would love that Blossom Possum book. It looks gorgeous! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my little ones flinch easily but over time the eldest has settled.

      Delete
  8. My little one is 3 and is terrified of hand driers which I only discovered earlier this year when she started using public toilets after potty training. Im really hoping she grows out of it, but for now we are following a similar avoidance technique to you. We did howvever go out to see fireworks which she was very excited about and surprisingly ok with! The baby on the otherhand was less so and I wish we'd kept him indoors. Hopefully you can all enjoy fireworks as a family in a few years, Ill have to look into the baby friendly fireworks for next year, I had no idea these existed :-) Thanks for sharing this on #MarvMondays. Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read that you are going through a similar experience. Baby friendly fireworks sure do sound great but you have to get in quick regards purchasing tickets.

      Delete

Post a Comment