Are You Dyeing to Celebrate Halloween?

As a child I loved dressing up and enjoyed Halloween when it rolled around.  It was always organised as my parents rang around family friends to ask whether it was ok to pop by and trick or treat prior to our arrival. Now I have children of my own I would like to pass on my love of dressing up to them and teach them about the occasion. The main way I have been doing this is through their book collection but I also do have a little decor for the home too.  

Bat in a Wreath


Last year I showed you our Halloween Decor and I've added to it this year with a few bought things and made a few things too. I bought one sign at a charity shop and changed up a few things in the house. These picture frames below for example have had their photos taken out and black card and lace cut to size and slotted inside.

Halloween Signs


The biggest project that I've been working on over the week though has been making this cushion cover. Dylon were kind enough to send me some coloured dye to play with and I picked out some colours that reflected the season. I thought hand dye would work best for the project. With two under two I think I should have gone for machine dye instead but feared turning everything in the machine pink! I'm not sure my husband’s work place would have approved if I coloured the uniform pink.

Packets of dye and Halloween props



To make this cushion cover I bought a plain cotton pillow case, put it in the baby bath (which the youngest has outgrown) and made up the dye as instructed on the packet. I then added the coloured dye to the baby bath and stirred the potion (contents).

Dyeing material pink in the baby bath

Once I’d followed all the instructions it was time to rinse through the pillow case and hang it up to dry. Using elastic bands tied tightly during this process leads to little circles being formed.

Hanging dyed material above the bath

Meanwhile I got a piece of black felt wrote boo! on it with chalk and pinned a white ribbon over the letters. I then sewed this in place and added a ghost bead as the bottom of the exclamation mark. When the cushion cover had thoroughly dried I cut this to size added the decorative felt piece and added a zip. 

My Boo Cushion


So what do you think?

Childhood Memories


A few bloggers have been lovely enough to treat us by sharing their childhood memories of Halloween with us too.:
Jaymee's Dad Dressed as Dracula


  • I was never allowed to celebrate Halloween as a child - my parents hated it and thought it was just an American thing and I felt so left out...but every year on Halloween something spooky would happen involving keys. One year we got stuck in a supermarket car park because the car key just wouldn't work. The year after our front door key wouldn't work and my twin sister had to crawl through a grate into our cellar and let us in from the inside. The year after that one of our keys just snapped. - Arthur Wears

  • My dad always dressed up for Halloween, I remember one year he had decorated the hall way with black bin bags on the ceiling and walls. Bats hanging down. He dressed as Dracula, used black polish for his hair to get it slicked back. Wore a cape and fangs. Every time someone knocked on the door he would use a smoke machine and eery music. He scared every child on the block! I loved it - The Mum Diaries

  • I loved loved loved Halloween when I was younger, it was a bigger day than Christmas for me. We used to plan our outfits and go trick or treating around the whole of our village (50/60 houses). There was even one house what had a whole spooky display in a few rooms in their house, was truly amazing. Can't wait for my son to understand it a little better. - All About Ashleigh

Do you celebrate Halloween? What are your childhood memories of this event? As always please leave a comment below I love hearing from you.

Disclosure: We were kindly sent a few packets of Dye in return for this post. All words and pictures included in this post are my own.

Comments

  1. This is so lovely you're passing traditions on through your family. We celebrated Halloween a little by going trick or treating on our street when I was younger.

    Emily / Babies and Beauty #MarvMondays

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute cover. I j ust had a Halloween party at my house after 20 years of not celebrating because here in Greece we don't. It was so much fun for the kids who got to do something truly unique. For them to dress up like goulds and zombies was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! I've never really done much at Halloween as a child or an adult but this post made me think that it doesn't have to be about knocking on people doors annoying them at all hours of the night. I've now made a promise to myself to make an event of it next year. Lovely post thank you
    #GlobbalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If it's organised and everyone is in agreement then I see no problem.

      Delete
  4. Wow I love that you are keen to have your traditions. Halloween was not ever done in Australia and is just been taking off here in the last couple of years. This year we were away and so all the kids dressed up and we took them trick or treating. Not many homes do it, but it was still lots of fun to see the ones that do and the kids had such fun. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that it didn't take off in Australia until recently with it being a popular event in USA and England. Hope you had a lovely holiday.

      Delete
  5. Hope you had a good day and enjoyed your new decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the first time I got to see Halloween celebrated in full swing. Lot of homes in our community put out carved pumpkins and other decorations. On Halloween Day so many children came by our home that we ran out of candy pretty soon!

    Your project reminded me of the 'tie and dye' project they had us do in school. Instead of using elastic bands, we used strings to tie the cloth up and get the same effect. Your cushion cover looks so neat and I love the whimsical 'ghost dot'! #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems your community really had a great time celebrating.

      Thank you. I love the bead too.

      Delete
  7. I love Halloween. My parents always used to have Halloween parties and my mum would make all the food Halloween themed. I thought I would do this too but one of my sons friends always throws a party and he always wants to go there which saves me having to do all the work. This year was the first that my daughter could properly take part in the trick or treating and she loved it, this was the best one for us so far.
    #Mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to read that you had the best Halloween ever this year. Your parents sound like they really entered into the spirit of things. (pardon the pun)

      Delete
  8. I love passing on and starting new traditions with our little ones. It looks like you really got into the spirit of things and I love the new cushion additions, very creative! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cushion cover! We don't go in for Halloween in a big way in our household as our eldest gets scared. However, we did carve a pumpkin for the first time this year and he does like giving out sweets to the other children that come round. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sorry to hear he gets scared. Maybe one day things will be different.

      Delete
  10. You're so clever! I always wonder about experimenting with dye(I'm trying to makeover the house on the cheap) but I'm never brave enough, maybe I'll give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving all your creativity! Halloween is very new to us, only being in the USA for a year. The kids had a great time. You can imagine the Candy haul with 4 kids.. .I feel a little guilty :) Thanks for sharing #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Wow 4 children you've got your hands full.

      Delete
  12. That pillowcase is absolutely brilliant and I love the boo that you sewed. My son and I really enjoy Halloween! Thank you for joining the #weekendblogshare

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment