Our Autumnal Amble Around Kingsclere

As the autumnal months get decidedly cooler, we've been making use of what sunny weather there is left and exploring the Great British countryside.

Footpath surrounded by foliage

One of the places we visited recently was Kingsclere. we parked up and were soon working out coordinates from a grave that led us to a nearby stream. There we were met by a cocophony of ducks that had decided it was feeding time and they would happily tuck into any bread we had about our person. Sadly for them we had none this time.   

Mummy with baby in close caboo carrier

As we left the ducks behind to chase each other on the water, we happened across another geocache. Usually the geocaches have a coordinating GC code but this one had none that we could locate on it and a look at the map once we got home didn't reveal any clues as to which one it may have been. Perhaps it was one that had been archived on the map but abandoned in situ.

Hands full of conkers

We discovered lots of conkers strewn across the path too. I overheard one mother call out for her daughter to stop picking them up and look for acorns instead. I looked for some myself on the way round the series we did but there were very few. Perhaps the squirrels have made good progress on their winter store cupboards this year and that’s why I couldn't see very many.

Eldest in carrier on Daddy's back


On our walk we also encountered blackberry bushes. My eldest daughter on discovering that she liked this delicacy decided that she’d eat all the ones she could find including the ones near stinging nettles! Fortunately, doc leaves are great for remedying the situation as are wet wipes apparently. So I'm afraid there’s not many left till the red ones turn black. She is also partial to the fruit that’s been growing in our garden and hasn't left us one single berry!

Red and Black Blackberries on Bush

As for the youngest she slept through the majority of the walk, even when we were walking down a footpath with racing traffic passing us by. She also very nearly got licked by a dog whose owner called out to us that the dog was trying to protect her.  I think my hubby’s suggestion of the dog clearly just being nosy makes more sense.

Where have your feet taken you recently?

Comments

  1. It looks like you had a lovely day. We went searching for conkers a couple of weeks ago and my girls loved it! #whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eldest was trying to eat them as well as the blackberries!

      Delete
  2. I think I agree with your husband, I have never known Jack to lick someone he was trying to protect ha! It sounds like a lovely day, we have lots of conkers in the Glade, if only you lived nearer xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely walk. Good foraging skills there for the blackberries! I love Autumn and you always know it's Autumn because of the conkers! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookers, such fond memories of conked hunting with my granny, I can't wait to do this with my two. You definitely know it's Autumn when the conkers are out. I'm impressed there were blackberries too, little bit of summer still lurking I see. Glad you had a nice time and that your daughter managed to avoid being licked by the dog! Thanks for sharing at #familyfun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory. That's very true about conkers and blackberries reflecting the season.

      Delete
  5. Oh it looks lovely. I love autumn and all it brings and no where does autumn better than Britain. Funny about the dog lick :) #whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. We do tend to really experience the seasons in all their glory.

      Delete
  6. This looks a wonderful Autumnal activity, love the conker pic and blackberries, mmmmm! Thanks for linking up #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was lovely to explore the area with the girls

      Delete
  7. Conker picking is a must in the autumn.They almost looked wooden in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! There is nothing quite like finding treasure on a nature walk, particularly in the Autumn. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is. I like the idea of it being autumnal treasure.

      Delete
  9. Sounds a lovely place for a walk. It's always a shame when a geocache is either abandoned or disappears, one less to go find :(

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely some lovely places to walk around here and you are right about the geocache.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely autumnal walk as a family, hunting for treasure both geocaching and naturally created. It's fab that you found one that wasn't on the website, but it's impressive you found it without any online clues! The blackberries on the farm are being scoffed by all the guests as they explore, not found any conkers yet though!

    Thanks for linking up and sharing with me on #CountryKids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah when you've done as many as we have watching out for geocaches is like a 6th sense. ;)

      Delete
  11. What a lovely walk, We went out to pick conkers recently :) We didn't see any acorns either, loads of squirrels though #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures, I love that first picture it looks like a beautiful place for a walk. It's been so long since I've been out looking for conkers, my daughters dad usually takes her!
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You should get out and about and explore.

      Delete
  13. I love it when we find an outdoor gem! I feel the same way about a couple of the ravines in Toronto but I guess I need to find somewhere a little closer to my new home! I also desperately need some conkers to keep the spiders away this winter! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes the girls French grandmother uses conkers about the house too

      Delete
  14. Looks like you had a beautiful walk, and a nice time exploring! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. A brilliant place! I love that there were so many conkers! We have the opposite problem of tons of acorns and no conkers! It looks like a beautiful walk, we love finds like that, also we have two if those berry fiends too! Ha ha! Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha so it's not the squirrels. It's the Scots ;)

      Delete
  16. What a lovely autumn walk. Love the photo of the conkers - they are such a beautiful colour and your girls both look very comfy in their carriers! :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was. They love them and I love a good snuggle.

      Delete
  17. This looks like such a beautiful day! Autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year to go hiking, because you finally get a break from the awful heat. Here in the US, I've never heard of conkers, but quickly caught up after a quick Google search! Maybe we'll try our hand at geocaching as well! Thanks for sharing <3 #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my I can't stand heat so I agree it's refreshing to have sunny weather and it be cool. Geocaching is a great way to explore the world. It originated in America so I'm sure you'll find loads. They even line Route 66 I've heard.

      Delete
  18. Looks like a great day. Lovely photos x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Conkers and blackberries - my son would be in heaven! Your photos are lovely - looks like a glorious walk. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  20. We've found lots of conkers recently too, but not any acorns! Fabulous photos. Thanks for linking up to #SundayBest x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment