Creative Crafters For Christmas: Laura's Pixie Patch

With Christmas just around the corner I thought it would be great to interview a number of creative crafters that can offer something unique at this time of year. So to kick us off I'm delighted to interview the delightful Laura Gillard of Laura's Pixie Patch.

Laura's Pixie Patch Logo


Hi Laura for those who don't know you could you please tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm Laura Gillard, 32 year old mum of two, Brownie leader and avid crafter

Laura's Creations Crochet and Sewn

What sort of creative business do you run?
I founded Laura's Pixie Patch in May 2012 though didn't truly find my feet until August 2015. I set my business up as a way of earning an income while staying at home to look after my children. I learnt to sew to make my youngest clothes for her dolls, but sewing then started to take over my life.
In 2014 I learnt to crochet and that too became a massive obsession. I started using both my sewing and crochet skills to make toys as presents and for my daughters.
I started receiving orders for toys in August 2015 I got to grips with CE testing to make sure my toys were safe. In that Autumn I started to make crocheted versions of people's guinea pigs. Now crocheted pet portraits of a wide range of animals is a big part of my business. This led to writing a crochet pattern for a ferret. I've now written and published several crochet patterns and a sewing pattern. I love making my own designs.

A real guinea pig meets it's crochet match

What advice would you give to someone who wants to have a go themselves?
Most people can learn to sew or crochet but it takes time and patience. If you would like to try then I recommend looking at YouTube where you will find a wealth of tutorials

Colourful stripy crocheted socks with crocheted flowers

How do you juggle creative work/life?
 As for creative work with life, basically my crochet comes with me everywhere so I can crochet while the girls have swimming lessons or volleyball practice. I work from home, for me crochet and sewing is a job rather than a hobby so I treat it as such. Once the children are at school I get to work. In the evenings after clubs and dinner I crochet whilst we have quieter family time together watching TV or just chatting. I save projects that don't require as many materials, such as blankets, for the evenings. During holidays I fit in orders wherever I can, making sure there is still time for family trips and spending time with my girls

Hands holding a little crocheted grey mouse

Where can we find you?
You can find me on Facebook and Etsy

Thank you, Laura for taking time out of your busy schedule to be interviewed.  If you are a creative crafter and would like to be interviewed on a future post in this series please get in contact. 

Comments

  1. Wow! I love the crocheted pets! Might just look into this for a Christmas present...amazing!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the crochet guinea pig! And the inspiration for it is pretty cute too - love that shaggy hair. I can't crochet to save my life but my best friend is hugely into it and keeps telling me how easy it is - maybe I should give it a go! #picknmix

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Hopping over from the POCOLO party... Great post! What pretty projects, especially those fun socks! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'd love to learn to crochet. And I love the look of that Guinea pig. So clever. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helena and Laura, I love your creations Laura! Particularly the guinea pig and socks! What a fun idea to create portraits of people's pets too, a great Christmas gift for sure.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving the socks, I taught myself to crochet when I was breastfeeding as a way to stem the bordom a little. Now he's more mobile I just dont get the chance! great series Helena :) #triballove

    ReplyDelete
  7. That guinea pig is soo cute! Love it x #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  8. What amazing crochet projects. I'd love to have more time for craft, I've done a bit of crocheting in the past, but would love to learn more skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing crochet! It's really wonderful. I would love to learn how to do that for sure, these would make lovely little stocking fillers! #MMBC

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. They really are adorable, so clever. I am so not good at craft #sundaybest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I think everyone is creative to some extent. You're a word smith. x

      Delete
  11. This is so interesting! What a great interview! I always wondered how creative people fit in their creative creation within their lifestyle. Thank you so much for sharing your interview with us on #FabFridayPost P.S. I love the look of the guinea pig! I am hoping over to her FB now! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it really is a lovely creation.

      Delete
  12. Those little pets are so cute! I would love to be a crafty sort of person, but I just never seem to have the time to even consider it. Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am inspired by anyone who has made a success of setting up their own business, and doing something that they have always wanted to do. You're an inspiration and you should be proud of your success. The toys all look super cute by the way. Wishing you all the success for the future. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crocheted guinea pigs is such a cool idea! Thanks for linking up to #SundayBest x

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a brilliant idea to interview someone with the know-how. I'm always in awe of anyone who can sew or crochet as I don't have the patience for it. Thanks for giving us some beautiful inspiration from a pro! #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for a series - and you've reminded me I've still not learnt to crochet! Better fix that soon - thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Good luck and enjoy learning crochet.

      Delete

Post a Comment