Why I'm Introducing Books to my Babies at an Early Age

It’s no secret that we love books in this house. I have bookshelves in the living room packed full of all mine while hubby prefers a picture book with references to the past. The eldest also has a bookcase full of books that she shares with her younger sister. Of course they can’t read yet but eventually they will and the skills they learn at an early age will no doubt help them in the future.

Black and White Faces Book


Followers to my blog will know that I recently had my six weeks check and that of my newborn baby. One of the checks they made was whether she could follow their torch from one side to another. Worryingly the doctor said she was struggling with this exercise so didn't feel she could tick the box.

There are several reasons why she may not have done the activity

  • She is a little rebel or had an off day so didn't want to be prodded and poked. Who could blame her hey?
  • At the time of the test my daughter was not quite six weeks so we wondered if she’d been tested too early.
  • Another suggestion of why she didn't perform the activity was offered forward from the health nurse who suggested that it could be put down to the fact I hadn't given my daughter enough eye contact. Having her big sister to care for too means I have to watch both of them.


How are we going to solve the problem?

So in order to solve this problem we have been using a little black and white book. Ok so she may not be able to read the words in it yet but they are a baby’s first colours. Yes forget all those brightly coloured things for baby black and white is in and rainbows are out. Showing her the pages of this book and moving them slowly from one side to the other. Hopefully this will encourage her.



Did you incorporate black and white into your baby’s world?

Kids Love To Read - Laura's Lovely Blog

Comments

  1. Ooh, I've never heard of using only black and white with little ones. We always seem to be encouraged to show them bright colours. Hope it works for you and your daughter. #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowzer you were quick to comment. :) They only see in black and white to begin with.

      Delete
  2. Mine youngest is almost 2 but didn't get the same attention that no1 got due to, like you said, her being the second child. I think they all do things in their own time to be honest and I hate the lressure that is put on parents and kids to reach milestones. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree each person is very different even siblings and yes we shouldn't be pressurised by tick box exercises.

      Delete
  3. I haven't done black and white no - but we do have a lot of books and have had from an early age. I must admit I hadn't yet introduced any such thing at only 6w old but my youngest two were attached to me in a wrap or a sling still then from they woke up until we went to bed. :)

    Reading with the children though is really good and helps develop all sorts of good things - as well as good bonding. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge booklover so my little girl has been interested in books for a while now and shes 6 months old. I think its great to get them into books early xx

    hanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I had heard of the black and white vision with babies, but I must admit that I mainly stuck to colours - selfishly because to me they look nicer! (I'm a bad mummy I know!) I do wish that health professionals wouldn't put us mummies under so much pressure around milestones though. I'm a bit uncomfortable that anyone would suggest to you that it's because baby hasn't perhaps had enough eye contact? I find that hard to believe, (although I have no expertise on this of course). It just sounds a bit of a tough thing to say to a new mum that is trying to find her feet with a newborn whilst still being a brilliant parent to her eldest. That being said I agree with you that books are a great way to bond and spend precious time together. Thanks so much for linking up to #fartglitter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You a bad mum?! I find that hard to believe. They see in just black and white for just a little period of time. Health professionals don't always think before they speak and clutch at ideas.

      Delete
  6. Oh mine loved black and white books, the littlest still does. I think you can get a black and white cot mobile too. They also loved a little black and white cow and penguin we had!

    I'm sure you have given your little one enough eye contact.I used to sit the littlest in the bouncy chair and do stories and rhymes with all three together. It is very tricky meeting everyone's needs, I sometimes feel I'm being pulled in very different directions! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can. I have seen some lovely little black and white nursery decor pieces. Reading to all of them like that is a lovely idea.

      Delete
  7. I love black and white books for tiny ones, we have an animal one. I kept meaning to buy more but never got round to it and then there wasn't much point. I'm sure she will be fine, my friend's little boy had the same thing at his 6 week check but at 8 months old he's completely fine and doing great! #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a lovely one. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Pleased to hear your friend's little boy is completely fine.

      Delete
  8. I've used so many of these books with my little ones. I really love them! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our firat has been looking at books since she was about 10 weeks old. That's a good point that a second may not get the same contact so I will remember the black and white book idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww bless. I think spending one to one time with each of them is good.

      Delete
  10. What a fab idea. Being a previous early years teacher I cannot advocate enough to say how important picture books colour or black and white are for kids. :) Brilliant. Thanks for linking up to #KLTR

    ReplyDelete
  11. books are such a wonderful thing for children and adults to embrace. I read to my babies and they all love books still. #mg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment