The Siblings Project {August}



When my daughter started to walk it soon became clear that it was not just a case of feeding her, encouraging sleep and keeping her warm and dry so she’d survive. Oh no now they can get into everything given half a chance and they've no idea that they could injure themselves!

We've had to take off the cooker knobs as she can switch on the oven otherwise! The washing machine also features buttons that little fingers find irresistible to press! Doors to cupboards have had to have the locks on and we are even considering one for the fridge now!

She loves her food and will run into the kitchen and throw open the fridge door. Yoghurts, cheese, and fruit are all firm favourites with our eldest. If a spoon is required she’ll then go to the cutlery drawer and demand a spoon. She drinks tap water and cow’s milk, but dregs of tea, orange and peach flavoured water as well as her sister’s bottle are all in her sights given half a chance!

She understands far more than she can say and therefore can follow simple commands if she wishes to. From giving things to her Dad or Mum, getting a nappy for her or her sister, putting things in the bin or searching for the potty she really is getting rather independent. Of course with all this learning comes the odd nap or two and she’ll sleep on her toddler bed unless she rolls off it. Fortunately there’s not far to fall.



Of course she also likes to entertain her sister and offers up kisses freely. She’s even tried to pick her up once or twice and will help me slide the Moses basket stand in to place in the morning.

The youngest member of the family will then sleep in the living room during the day so she can pick up the difference between night and day. When awake she’ll drink between 30-150 ml every three and get angry at having trapped wind.  All this sleeping and eating of course has led to plenty of growing so we've not needed the tiny baby clothes as much this time round.

What are your top tips for parenting siblings?
The Me and Mine Project

Comments

  1. I have little disasters- no real good tips unfortunately.

    Every single kid has marched to the beat of their own path. Nothing I did with baby one worked for baby two and nothing I used with either girl worked once the twins came.

    I find myself starting new with each kids and each milestone

    #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I wonder in which ways these two will differ.

      Delete
  2. I love that your little one is already doing all those things. The fridge and cooker knob thing made me laugh! We joke that my son trashes the place now he can walk. He pulls clothes out of cupboards and drawers and we find the oddest things in cupboards (like my husbands socks in the pan cupboard) I think those with older siblings get into more mischief because we are so busy on keeping our eye on the oldest too. Good luck :)
    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they think they're in control! Under their little thumbs!

      Delete
  3. Aw, how lovely! It must be wonderful witnessing the sibling love and interactions. We only have one so I can't comment on our experiences. Thank you for sharing. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are sweet. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. My first 2 were so different as baby's and as Toddlers. My third is a lot like my first. Baby one walked, well was running at 11 months, baby 2 17 months, baby 3 13 months. Baby 1 terrible sleeper until 6 months and then easy, baby one great sleeper until 6 months and then terrible lol. They are all their own little people. My advice enjoy getting to know them as individual s it is so much fun! #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my sounds like they are all completely different. It always surprises me that siblings can be like that.

      Delete
  5. I have only 1 yet. but I really want a second one. Lovely kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh I'd love to have had experience of this but I only had the opportunity to have one child. It will be my only regret in life if I don't have another! Lovely post :) Tor xx #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's 20 months between my boys. My youngest now 22mo creates Mayhem wherever he goes,loves kissing everyone,the fridge and the cooker knobs too!. My far more sensitive but very possessive of his toys. Is so funny how different they are. So much to look forward but they are already best friends! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's why you gave him that name on your blog. Great to hear yours get on so well.

      Delete
  8. My boys are very much alike.
    What Monkey no1 did is now being repeated by monkey no2. They are so alike in milestones, behaviour and cheekiness!
    Lovely siblings update :)

    Thanks for being part of #MMBC. Hope to see you next week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. It's interesting to hear yours are so alike.

      Delete
  9. Aw it's lovely to see them bonding at such a young age isn't it? We have exactly 2 years between our two and we noticed a massive change once the littlest one could walk. The big one then suddenly noticed him as a potential playmate and they have been partners in crime ever since. Thanks for sharing with #fartglitter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there's about to be a whole other level of crazy when I have two toddlers.

      Delete
  10. I only have one right now but I remember the age where they get into everything and want to always be so independent. It can get nearly impossible to "toddler proof" the house. It sounds like she is coming into her own! Thanks for linking up with the #DreamTeam Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. When I'm parenting solo I feel I have to confine everyone to one room!

      Delete
  11. Aww bless! The joys of toddlers!! We struggled most with our littlest because he's so tall - all the baby proofing we'd done for the girls was no use!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've been really lucky with my two so far, they've not been that interested in opening cupboards etc! Although my 2 year old does now know where we keep the chocolate kinders and has appeared with one in her hand once or twice! x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Chocolate Kinders are lovely. Especially the ones in France that I don't think we get here in the UK.

      Delete
  13. I have 3 and it's been easiest with my third he has just slotted in to our life so easy. I must say we haven't got to the moving around stage with him yet though as he is only just rolling so far xx #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's great when they slot in perfectly.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful pictures; lovely post. I can't wait for my daughter to have a sibling! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww lovely pictures! Mine were both pretty early walkers & yes they're into everything once they can walk! Mine are a little over a year apart in age - eldest adjusted really well to having a sibling & was a big fan of kisses for the baby too! Now they are 2 & 3, & are either thick as thieves or bickering! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I think I'd better track down Peter Pan fast.

      Delete
  16. I love sibling relationships - I can't wait to see my little boy as an older brother! He's like yours though and strangely attracted to the fridge - and now the freezer too! Always after ice cream! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we know they wont go hungry hey. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment