What Our Toddler Eats

So you've got past the milk feeding stage. Got the first tastes of vegetables and fruit out of the way leading to a tot that is very content at eating everything that is placed in front of her.  However, you are still panicking is your child eating enough? What portion size is right for them? What about cow’s milk, cereal, sugar, salt consumption and vitamins?!  The whole feeding scenario can feel overwhelming!


With my eldest I bought all the Annabel Karmel books I could find, an Usborne feeding book and more. The recipes in these books look more extravagant than anything I've ever cooked for myself. OK that’s not hard to do as I'm used to bunging stuff in the oven and hoping for the best. I once even had a fire engine come out while at University as I’d forgotten the fish fingers and chips in the oven! We also don’t stock some of those ingredients they suggest in the books.

So while the books languish on our bookshelves this is what we do in our house. For breakfast she’ll eat through 1 yoghurt, 2 pieces of fruit and a handful of Cheerios (similar varieties are available). Anything that has not reached her mouth will be spread over herself and the floor! Our eldest will share what we have in the evening and anything that she doesn't eat is stored in the fridge for the next day’s lunch. If we don’t have any food leftovers from the night before she’ll have a food pouch or jar for lunch. A milk bottle and water to wash everything down with is always welcomed.


What do meal times look like in your home?

Comments

  1. Sounds like you're raising a non-picky eater and that's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted with that as I'm soooo fussy myself

      Delete
  2. Sounds a bit like our household.....a good mixture! Thanks for linking up, hope you'll stop by again #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we can stress over what our children are eating too much if we're not careful. They pick up on this, which makes meal times stressful for everyone. Glad you've got it under control - without the help of the recipe books :-)
    PS I'm laughing because my post on #BloggerClubUK (the one next to yours) is "Things Evie Eats". Great minds, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Will have to check out your post.

      Delete
  4. We have a very similar set up here. Like the commenter above, I am so aware of not making meal times an issue so try to not get hung up on whether we have completely clean plates at the end of a meal. That being said, it's blooming frustrating when I've created a culinary masterpiece and she has two mouthfuls before saying she's full ;-) #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I've had a real mixed experience with my four and food. My youngest is still in the one for the mouth, one for the floor stage. My eldest is my best eater. My 8 year old is a good eater but quite fussy but its my third child, just turned three who is the hardest as the moment. Sometimes he will go a few days hardly eating anything, to the point where I have to abandon the suitable items for whatever time of day it happens to be, just so i can get him to eat something. Thanks for linking for #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness you do seem to cover the spectrum of eating with them. I can truly understand the worry you face if your child struggles with eating. We are actually naturally grazers so it looks like one of them is not taking after King Henry 8th.

      Delete

Post a Comment