I Never Expected to be Giving Myself First Aid

I didn't expect to be back in hospital a month later but that’s exactly where I ended up on Wednesday at 4 am this week! 


I've been making bottles of formula feed every three hours day and night for just over a month now. So as routine I got up walked downstairs boiled the kettle and was just pouring the water into the bottle when it toppled over and hit me in the abdomen.

I immediately threw off my nightie and ran to the shower where I dowsed the area in freezing cold water.  I called for hubby to finish the bottle I started which he did but now baby didn't want to drink as she’d got herself into a right state. I understand that they still think they are a part of you for several months after their birth. My eldest also woke up and came running in to see if I was ok.

There’s an A & E down the road from us so I gave hubby a plan of action to get the girls cardigans on and them in the car where I’d join them. I reckoned that it would be quicker to get there than calling for an ambulance. However, I hadn't banked on the one down the road being shut! It is only open 10am till 10pm. So we returned home and I leapt back into the shower while hubby called the paramedics. As he was on the phone he was told that I shouldn't be under too long in case I was ill from the freezing cold water (tepid is actually best). 

Fortunately the paramedics showed up very quickly and dressed my wound and gave me gas and air to breathe in assuming I'd gone into shock. They then decided to take me to hospital as they are limited in what they can do and couldn't give me much pain relief. There I would have morphine too if it was deemed necessary. In the ambulance they gave me paracetamol. I can’t have some drugs as they may affect my kidneys. It took about half an hour to get into hospital.

When my mind wasn't focused on the pain and worrying if I may fall off the stretcher. My thoughts were with my babies. I told the paramedics about my worries and was asked whether I thought my hubby was capable of looking after them. Of course he is but when you’re with them all day every day it’s funny to be away from them.  According to hubby the eldest was so concerned about my disappearance in an ambulance that he had to hold on to her as they drove away with me or she’d have tried to run after it.

In hospital they took my details, that of my husbands and made an appointment with the plastics team for later in the day before setting me free.  I phoned my mother for clothes and we attended the appointment together. Now I just have to keep redressing the wound.

Linking up with WotW, PicknMix, PoCoLo and FabFridayPost

Comments

  1. Oh gosh! How awful...I hope you are OK now.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just feel tender and it looks rather red like sunburn.

      Delete
  2. Oh no... hope you heal quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. Bless your eldest trying to run after the ambulance. Hope you're ok! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I feel very blessed to have such a caring daughter. Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  4. How frightening for all of you! I do hope the wound is not too painful. Sarah #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, sounds awful. So sorry to hear you've had such a dramatic week. I hope you heal quickly and the pain subsides x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's not pleasant. Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness you poor thing, what a situation you had to deal with. awww your daughter, sounds like my son in the way that he worries about certain change. i hope you make a speedy recovery X #wotw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no how awful. I did this with a kettle when I was about 12, blooming painful! Be careful with the wound to ensure dressing doesn't stick to it :( xx #wotw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word that sounds awful! It was a good job you were able to think logically! Oh get well soon lovely and look after yourself xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wouldn't recommend it. Apparently my quick thinking saved me from it being far worse.

      Delete
  9. How scary and painful, hope you're feeling a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was. Just sore and red raw like I'm sunburnt.

      Delete
  10. On no! What I night! How scary, I hope it's healing ok? Xxxxxx #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite worrying. I'm very sore but apparently my quick thinking saved me from it being far worse.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, I do hope you're feeling better now. When hubby had acute appendicitis, we were fortunate that Grandma could come over while our little girl was in bed, so she never had to experience A&E... not a nice experience for you and your family. Incidentally, it's definitely worth smothering your wound in aloe gel from forever living. I used it on my c-section scar and not only did it soothe it but I also had very little scar from early on. #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I phoned my mother who was close by to come and get me while hubby looked after our daughters.

      Thanks for the tip I'll run it past the doctor first though as I've been told to use no potions or lotions.

      Delete
  12. Ouch, that sounds horrible! Hope that your burn heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! I hope you are feeling better and that the wound heals quickly for you. Hope your little ones are okay too.. and hubby! Take care all of you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no how awful, it's so easily done when you are tired hope it heals quickly for you. #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting there I'm just sore from it

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness, how horrible, awful in fact. so glad that you got treated quickly and that you are home. Take care of yourself and know that your Hubby and little ones and you will be OK! Very gentle hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! This is so horrific! You are so calm and collected. I would have gone ballistic about the A&E being closed! Bless your big girl. I can imagine that scene for her. Sweet Hubby too. Please take care of yourself. XX

    Thank you so much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mind was focused on just getting back under the cold water. Lesson learnt that if something should happen go to the central hospital and phone an ambulance. Hopefully there'll be no other accidents.

      Delete
  17. Ouch - hope you're healing well. Sounds like focusing on everything around you (and not the pain) helped. Thanks for linking to #PoCoLO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby thinks so. My mind will always be with my babies.

      Delete
  18. Oh this sounds so painful and awful having to leave your little ones at home as well. I hope it is healing really well. Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at the time certainly. Now it's just a little tender as my clothes rub against my abdomen.

      Delete

Post a Comment