Shopping with the Siblings

Since being released from hospital we've made a few trips to the local supermarkets with a variety of outcomes. There’s been times when we've come away thinking it worked out really well to other times when it’s been a complete and utter disaster darling! I've gone from being really proud of my daughters to feeling completely awkward by them.

A Delightful Distraction

Our last trip out has to be the worst experience we've had with our girls that both of us parents ended up feeling we needed to go home and fast! Due no doubt to over tiredness the girls yelled, threw tantrums, ran off and refused to be put in the trolley!

To add to this we’d picked up a burst milk bottle and the hand-held scanner that is supposed to make things quick and easy decided not to work when we got to the till! Needless to say we abandoned the idea of sticking around longer so that we may get that free cup of tea. I say ‘may’ as a couple of times they've run out of tea bags for making them and can’t take them off their shelves.

As I mentioned earlier not every shopping trip has been a complete disaster. One store we visit regularly is wonderful in that it provides distraction techniques for little ones such as free fruit and the delightful car/trolley that our eldest loves. Daddy said using it would be embarrassing so I pushed it round the store for the delighted toddler. There’s only one of these types of trolley though so it was great to use it when we could, while littlest got carried round in Daddy’s arms.

As we walked around the store I heard fellow customers comment on how cute and tiny our newborn is and what a good driver the toddler is. This is completely the opposite of what you get when the little ones are misbehaving.


Staff can also be really helpful, encouraging and supportive. OK you may argue this is due to customer service training but you do feel that many people can relate especially if they are fellow parents and will go out of their way to help you. Whether that be helping you by reducing things you want (if you go at the right time) to getting back into your car as in your baby brain like haze you've managed to forget your keys, locked the door and can no longer get to your toddler!

How do you occupy your little ones while out shopping? or do you resort to shopping online? 

Best of Worst


Cuddle Fairy


Mummy Fever

Comments

  1. I can relate with you on this one. I normally distract my toddler with that trolley, food or getting her to hold noisy packaging lol. It can be so tough trying to go about your day trying to do the food shop and keeping little ones occupied. There are good days and bad days for us...going out to eat can be as troublesome. My little lady hates high chairs lol. Being a parent is tough!!! #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree there's good and bad days. My eldest has just learnt how to get in and out of her high chair much to her amusement and our worry. Goodness knows how we are going to go for meals with the two gorgeous girls.

      Delete
  2. With four children I do 90% of my shopping online. I rarely go to the shops. When I do have to go I try to give them jobs or tasks to find/look out for things. We do also resort to eating the gingerbread that they put in the trolley too! thanks for linking to #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow four children. I love the idea of spot the x while in the shops.

      Delete
  3. I am an avid online food shopper and use click & collect so all I have to do is drive to the store and put it in the back of my car. I do try and take little man to the supermarket for little mini shops just so he is used to it, but sometimes it is definitely more hassle than it is worth! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh click&collect can be fantastic. I agree having recently picked up a mattress for baby and a book in this manner. So quick and easy. I do worry whether the pickers will pick the right thing and in what condition.

      Delete
  4. Hi Helena, it doesn't matter if staff are trained to be nice, it's just important that they are. Shopping with little ones in tow can be testing, a smiling face on a helpful person can make all he difference.

    I used to just go shopping and hope for the best. Now I would probably shop online of I could, but that would be regardless of children, I just don't like shopping.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie I so hear you. Manners cost nothing as they say and can really make your day. I tend to shop with a list in mind but that can easily moved to online. I'd just worry what condition the things were picked in.

      Delete
  5. Ahh! I mainly shop online now. It is so much easier than my girls throwing a fit when I won't get them a magazine or some sweets.
    That car/trolley looks fab! Such a great way to keep little one's distracted x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear my little ones have yet to reach that stage

      Delete
  6. I hope you get it worked out and can figure out a routine that is good for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly I think if I had more than one child I would do all my shopping online. My boy now just starts screaming the instant we enter a shop that doesn't contain toys. I just brazen it out. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww its bloody hard. hats off for going with two! we tend to split it and one of us pops out. I might go on a Friday with my son but if I do, he usually gets to eat something - so I open a bag of apples or promise him a biscuit or stgh #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to shop on my own. I've been so pleased to have hubby by my side.

      Delete
  9. It is tricky for me to go out before whethere its to go to the stores or playground with a toddler. I remember e would just cry for no reason and cry his lungs out! I dont even know how i survived those days but I did! #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry to hear that. I'm reminded of the words 'this to shall pass'.

      Delete
  10. I resort to online shopping and I don't even have children! I hate supermarkets and the thought of trying to do a shop with a toddler in tow makes me shudder lol
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly seems like that's the way many shop these days.

      Delete
  11. Ah firstly massive congrats!! Don't think I saw the birth announcement. Aw i bet it is a challenge going with 2. I have all this to come.All you need is some kindness though when all getting a bit hairy. Most have been there. Here's to some more successful trips and thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. First day of flying solo here today eek. I look forward to reading posts on how others cope.

      Delete
  12. Mine are worse now! Was okay with one toddler & a new born, but mine only have a year between them so eldest was a very young toddler when little one was a baby & wasn't into the bad toddler behaviour. Now I have a just turned 3 & nearly 2 year old & a lot of trips to any shops are pretty bad! #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh eck what do you mean they get worse??!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment