10 Things to Think About When Creating Your Perfect Birth Plan

Bump on a Birthing Ball

As I sit here relaxing on the sofa basking in the warm sunshine, I can feel the presence of baby no:2 wriggling under my skin. It’s funny to think that over the months I've gone from feeling the surreal ‘is this really happening to me’ to full on movement where the little ones movements can be clearly seen. As much as I love the experience I can’t help thinking to others it may look like a scene from a movie where the character’s body is invaded! Poor little baby. Yes the countdown in this household has begun and I have yet to write up my birth plan!

So in this post I thought I’d make a start and share with you 10 things to think about when creating your perfect birth plan even if things don’t go strictly to plan on the day.
  1. Where do you want to give birth? For some this choice may well be taken out of their hands as risks deem the best place to give birth is the main hospital in the county. However, if you aren't at risk then maybe being in a Midwife Led Unit (MLUs) is for you or even the comfort of your own home.
  2. Who do you want present at your birth? Partners, friends, your favourite Midwife (if available), Doulas all can be there by your side if you wish.
  3. What (if any) drugs do you wish to combat the labour pain? While the recent trend appears to be hypnobirthing and using mind over matter, it is still worth considering what drugs can help you through this time.
  4. How do you want to give birth? You don’t need to give birth on a bed these days. There are also birthing pools available and mats and balls can aid you too. If I could I’d order a 5 * luxury Jacuzzi and sip drinks from my favourite butler (hubby) while binging on chocolate. Like that is really going to happen ....hey a girl can dream.
  5. What positions do you want to try out during labour and birth?  Obviously I am not considering Kama Sutra during this time but standing, kneeling, squatting and lying on one’s side.
  6. Are you happy to have training doctors/midwives/nurses present at the birth? While I understand this is not something that everybody wants. I think it is the best way for students to learn after all people learn in different ways and not every birth is by the text book.
  7. Would you like your partner to cut the umbilical cord? It is believed that the amount of time the umbilical cord stays attached to the baby makes a difference. While some mothers decide to have a lotus birth in other cases it is necessary to cut the cord straight away.
  8. Would you like to have skin to skin contact with your baby? While this isn't always possible it’s lovely to experience if you can to help in bonding with your bubba even your partner can experience this if they’d like to. One couple (Kate and David Ogg) even argue that their bubba came back to life after their experience.
  9. Have you considered how you are going to feed your little one? Perhaps you are a firm believer that breast is best and bottle just won’t do or perhaps due to complications it’s best to have bottles on standby. Ultimately, it is your decision, believe in yourself to feel and know what’s right for you and don’t be afraid to seek support.
  10. Do you want your baby to have vitamin K? For the blood to clot properly it is deemed necessary for a baby to have vitamin K. This can be given via injection or orally.
Are you currently writing up your birth plan?

For a more in depth look at writing your birth plan check out the NHS document here and Netmums have also written about this topic here. Their article also reflects on why it’s also important to think about your well-being during what can be an emotional roller coaster of a time. 

MaternityMondays


Marvellous Mondays badge by Hello Archie
Rhyming with Wine


Mummascribbles

Comments

  1. A great post, lots of tips to get you thinking, it is good to have it written down and make sure your birthing partner has read it too so that they can speak for you if needed- my best tip is go with the flow- anything can happen #maternitymondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Going with the flow is sometimes the only and best option. Every pregnancy is different. My first pregnancy deviated from the original plan but they did cover most things on it that they could.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I had forgotten how much there was to think about. A lovely comprehensive list. #MarvMondays

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post! Very useful for expectant mothers. I never had a birth plan but I did have an idea about the kinds of things I wanted and didn't want. At least I did second time round! :)
    #fartglitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan. I'm surprised to hear you didn't have a birth plan.

      Delete
  4. I wish I'd had more help last time as I had no idea what to put in my birth plan! Basically, all mine said was I fancied a water birth and about vit K, but this time round I have been hypnobirthing, so hopefully it doesn't sound too poncy when I write it out haha. Thanks for linking to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the hypnobirthing works out for you. If you can go without drugs that's fantastic. I'd write a back up just in case though.

      Delete
  5. A far distant memory for me but I seem to remember writing something along the lines of "Give me all the drugs and please don't hurt me!" #FartGlitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips and advice! I think having an effective and realistic birth plan can go a long way to helping you feel in control of the situation which is so important when it comes to labour.
    Thanks for linking with #fartglitter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek how exciting it is all coming together and won't be long now. I loved water during labour and found it really good for pain that I spend a huge amount of time in there lol X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 weeks to go! Not sure whether I can have water due to the monitoring but one can dream.

      Delete
  8. Sensible tips to consider. I have to admit, I was a bit crap with my birth plans. People plan such lovely, thought out births, I kind of just said I wanted to go to hospital (& not even that happened with number 2 - she was in a hurry!) #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. Hope you both were ok. Did you go to hospital after the birth?

      Delete

Post a Comment