Word of the Week: Mission


Your mission should you choose to follow your doctors’ advice and that of your heart is to follow instructions.

I've been feeling like a yoyo this week with regards to emotion. Now in my second trimester, with second child, I have been trying to follow doctors’ advice.  However, in undertaking their advice I feel like a walking guinea pig. I'm taking one tablet after the other and testing my bloods before and after meals. I get scared when I can’t feel little ones movements and my hubby has taken to likening it to going fishing and waiting for the fish to bite. Heck I even woke up with a panic attack in the early hours of this morning thinking about it all. Did I take the right amount of tablets? Did i accidentally swallow one too many? Why can’t I just enjoy the experience rather than fret and fear what the future holds.

In other news I have been slowly working on my daughter’s cushion cover and quilt. My original aim was to create the quilt in time for her birthday but when it came to getting the backing for the piece I realised I would need to do an awful lot more patchwork to cover the quilt. I now understand why you usually see squares instead of rosettes adorning baby blankets. Oh but I had to be different and follow instructions that went a tad awol. For a newbie like me even the instructions about right facing had me confused with left and right! I decided that for now the quilt should be abandoned and an easier project with a square quilted cushion cover ensued. It is looking good so far although I have only got the front sewn up right now.

In order to achieve my missions I have got smart about it:

  1. Specific - what is it you are trying to achieve eg. I'm taking my medication to help my health and that of the baby
  2. Measurable – we are tracking my blood results on a graph – this will determine whether i will need to take insulin or not
  3. Attainable/achievable – In the case of the quilt I determined an easier project would be best to do first
  4. Relevant – in order to keep an eye on my health and that of baby it is relevant to take blood tests regularly
  5. Timely – I will complete my blood testing before and after meals with my last blood tests taken just after the birth.
Do you have a mission that concerns your health or heart’s desire? Please do leave a message. I enjoy reading all your comments.

The Reading Residence
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three



Comments

  1. Good luck with your mission and your pregnancy! Don't really have a mission at the moment, except maybe ... since its half-term next week, survive half-term with my daughter who gets easily bored, without going all bonkers! ;) #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean B. I read somewhere about having a jar to keep all the things you'd like to do together in and then acting on these activities.

      Delete
  2. I'm a worrier so I understand what you're dealing with. Sometimes it helps to just write it down and see it in writing instead of whirling around in your head.
    Good luck with the quilt, your daughter will love it no matter when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one.

      Awww thank you for those kind words.

      Delete
  3. It's an important mission, so understandably stressful and draining, when all you want to do is enjoy your pregnancy. I hope it gets easier soon. Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound as though you have a lot to deal with. Breaking it down into smaller steps sounds like a very good idea. Perhaps make a chart for your pills and cross off when you have taken them to alleviate the stress of did you take them or not? I do hope that all will go well with your pregnancy for all of your family and you. Thank you for joining Five On Friday, Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a very good idea to me. Thank you and Happy Valentines to you too.

      Delete
  5. The most important thing is to take care of you and everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do need to look after yourself and breaking it down makes it more manageable. Hoping you have a less worried week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing a baby is hard work but so important that it's only natural to worry at times, good luck with that mission and with the sewing which I'm sure can be equally tough at times x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you are finding ways to make it easier for you to keep track of your tablets and blood tests and trying to make the quilt/cushion project more manageable. I used to have a chart on the fridge which helped me keep track of Jessica's medication which helped when there was a lot to keep track of. Hope that all goes well for the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the chart on the fridge is a great idea. I did that with my first pregnancy.

      Delete
  9. You have a really important mission and best of luck with it all. My mission this year is to be a bit more spontaneous, well as much as you can with a 4yr old in tow. To relax and in with the flow g bit, which seems to go against the grain when it comes to children and their routines, but I'm trying
    I'm sure you'll be ok with yours. It's only natural to worry when pregnant but hopefully the strategies you have to remove the anxieties will help xx
    #wordoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. Good luck with your mission.

      Delete

Post a Comment