Determined to Diet

A lot of people no doubt will be hitting the gyms at this time of year and trying to get into a shape they are confident and comfortable with. While gyms are not for everyone (me included) I still feel it important to look after myself so that I can help others. 

Breakfast Cereal

This week I have been trying to get back into a routine that I was in before Christmas and look at cutting out the refined sugar again. Obviously this is easier said than done when you hit the shops and you are really hungry!

For breakfast I usually have a single piece of toast. If I have more than one or/and apply jam my blood sugars seem to rise too much! In hospital with my daughter the other day I craved rice based cereal so helped myself to a bowl of it. I say a bowl but actually the portion size was like a small ice cream tub much smaller than the bowls we have at home but enough to satisfy a hungry tummy.

For lunch I normally have a sandwich or one piece of toast with cheese. Cheese is not made up like other dairy produce and has less sugar as a consequence. Dinner is where I get in all my vegetables and usually team this up with a few carbohydrates like rice, pasta etc and some meat. Again I have to be careful of my intake of carbohydrates and fortunately for me I've gone off having chips.

Now while I do love a good pudding these usually come laden with sugar! so if I feel the urge to tuck into something. I usually go for a sugar free jelly or make something leaving out the sugar.

Interspersed with meals and to wash it all down with, I like to have a drink. Oh I'm not talking booze but Still Orange and Peach mineral water does in my opinion come quite close to an Archers and Lemonade sans the sugar and alcohol. Over Christmas I delighted in having a few apple juices on Boxing Day but soon after reverted back to tea, flavoured mineral water and water.

Finally, we all know diet is not always enough so my fitness comes in the form of wrangling a nearly 1 year old baby into her nappy and chasing her around the house so she doesn't get into mischief.

So my top tips that I'm following are:

  1. Dietary control – cut out the refined sugar (or trying to at least)
  2. Portion Control
  3. Being careful about my intake of carbohydrates
  4. Swapping fizzy and fruit juices for more healthier options
  5. Exercise - if you can't find a baby to wrangle take part in your favourite sport or dance class
This post was originally linked up with JocelynAmy and Amy

Comments

  1. A great five, I really must look at a healthier lifestyle. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! I tend to drink water all day which is such an easy way of cutting out sugar and calories, and is actually good for me, too! Best of luck x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tend to get confused as to whether you can drink too much water or not. It certainly is beneficial though.

      Delete
  3. Portion control is important for me because I don't believe in dieting--does't work for me. Exercise is important to me both mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you or should that be read you. :)

      Delete
  4. Five great tips indeed, and you are right, put in less, put out more. I don't have a baby to wrangle, but I am trying to walk more. I hope that it works well for you. Thank you for joining Five On Friday! Happy Weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you set yourself challenges? I know of a couple of people who track themselves walking 10, 000 steps a day.

      Delete
  5. The hubby and I have been hitting the gym M-W-F. I can't believe the difference it makes going with him rather than by myself. He's a good workout buddy :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/tea-time-steelers-and-puppy-11516.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having someone who is supportive is a great thing. Sadly I sometimes feel I'm going solo.

      Delete
  6. Great tips for losing weight - running after small children is definitely a good form of exercise! Good luck with your diet and cutting out refined sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I wobbled over birthday and Christmas but I hope to get back on top of things.

      Delete
  7. Fab tips. I'm not sure if I could cut out refined sugar completely at the moment but I am trying to cut back a little. Xxx #Wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little is better than nothing at all. Perhaps look at what you like and see if there's an equivalent. You may like that even more.

      Delete
  8. Fab objectives. I wish you all the best with it. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  9. All good things there on that list - and they all make so much sense, so why are they so hard to do at once? Good luck! #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I've wobbled a bit but I keep trying to do these.

      Delete
  10. Coming after the indulgences of Christmas these are very wise words. I've always drunk lots of water and something I try and pass on to the children but it's more difficult in this weather! Good luck with it all
    #wordoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. Yes the rainy days do make drinking less appealing but great to hear you always drink lots and sound like a great role model for your children.

      Delete

Post a Comment