Road to Reading

Sitting on my knee I open the pages of the book and start to read 'That's not my .....'. As I do so my daughter's arms flail in the air as if she's excited that she's being read to. If this is pure excitement over a book I do hope that it continues. For I know what it is to feel pure escapism with a book and be eager to turn the pages and find out whether my assumptions of how a story will unfold turn out to be true or not.



I first learnt to read using Peter and Jane books and loved completing them so that I could pick up the next instalment and thus progress my reading.

These books appear to have been overtaken by Biff and Chip of the literary world. However, it seems that despite many schools installing them as part of their curriculum not everyone is a fan. Opting instead for other reading strategies such as Rigby Star, Ladybird, Ruth Miskin, Jolly Phonics, Snapdragons, Songbirds, Floppy Phonics, Glow - worms and Dandelion Books.

Will I be able to encourage a sense of excitement for reading within my daughter. Only time will tell but for now Usborne books rate very highly by her. Of course many other book brands are available. Here's a picture of my daughter exploring a new set of books she has acquired by her great cousin unbeknown to him.


What are your favourite childhood books? Do you have any recommendations? I'd love to hear from you.

This post was originally linked to the linkys Twinkly Tuesday, Let Kids Be Kids and Mummy & Us.

Comments

  1. I think any books are great for kids, it is all about exposing them to books of all types, different textures are great, but most importantly just to let them hear our voices reading is the best thing #mummyandus thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading and trying out different voices so my daughter is in for fun.

      Delete
  2. My son adored books from a young baby and he is now a very good reader. I think any reading to children is a fantastic way to encourage them.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to reading more to her and finding new children's books I love too.

      Delete
  3. My 2 yr old loves books so we have a large collection now but still the classic biff and chips are up there as firm favourties! I cant wait until shes old enough to read her books herself :)

    #mummyandus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's not long now till she's reading. Hope you aren't wishing time away though.

      Delete

Post a Comment