How to Decorate the Nursery on a Budget

We've lived in the house for a good few years and it is becoming increasingly more and more like our home. When we first moved in it was a fair mess with no kitchen and Austin power coloured walls. The bathroom was olive green and pink and the whole place needed a decent makeover.

How to Decorate the Nursery on a Budget

So with a horrible canvas to begin with we wanted to change it all and over time we started with adding paint on the walls in nature’s colours such as blues, yellows and greens and put in a brand new kitchen as well as lovely floors. We've added light shades and continue to make our little house a lovely home.

Most recently I have been working on our daughter’s bedroom. So here it is a little tour of her room that no doubt will change again and evolve as she does. 

Our Baby Cot

As you enter her room you are confronted by her junior cot bed from Mothercare. We bought her mattress from Argos and her star fitted sheets were bought at Asda. I went a little crazy with her bedding as I bought her a throw in the same colours and a bunny duvet set (hush don’t tell daddy). For now these pieces reside in the top of the cupboard but when she’s a toddler she can have them on her bed.

Next to her bed is a chest of drawers that plays host to some of her clothes as well as a drawer full of reusable cloth nappies. She actually hasn't been in any of these yet as I've got into a habit of getting disposable ones from when she was a teeny tiny 4lb 11oz baby.

The other side of her bed is another little chest of drawers this is home to ribbons, cotton threads, rubber stamps and pretty craft paper that I’m going to have to find another place for as I imagine soon she will be going through them and I’ll find them all strewn across the floor! 


The Nursery

Further along is her bookshelf with storage from Wilko. I think I would prefer to have Kallax shelving from Ikea to house these boxes but for now I'm making do. My intention for these is to house all her fancy dress, books and toys but right now only a couple of them have stuff in them.

While her toy tidy has a floral lid and was picked up at a carboot sale over the weekend. Her curtains originally came from Next and if she’s anywhere near them she likes to stroke the floral embroidered pattern on them.

Next Curtains

By now I imagine that you are all familiar with what her wardrobe looks like but here it is again.

Inside the built in wardrobe

For her light shade I bought one plain white paper lantern, painted it blue and cut and paste flowers from a roll of wrapping paper on to it. It doesn't give out much light now but that’s ideal for a little girl who needs her sleep.

Upcycled lamp shade



Finally, she has wall stickers, canvases that I have decorated, a memory box frame and her birth(day) cards mounted on the wall as well as a bird box.  

This nursery was created from:  
  • Family and friends hand me downs
  • Ebay purchases
  • NCT Sales
  • In store sales
  • Carboot finds
  • Charity shop treasures
  • Emma's Diary Coupons

So there you have it my daughter's room reflecting our love of nature. What do you think?

This post was originally linked up to the following linkys: Home Etc, The Mad Mid Week Blog Hop and Share With Me.

Comments

  1. Aaah what a pretty room for a little girl with a pretty name :) Lovely! If it were me, I'd paint both the chest of drawers in white — they'd tie in beautifully with the cot and the wardrobe then and would trick the eye into making the room feel bigger.

    Thanks so much linking in with us on #HomeEtc — we really do appreciate it :)

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caro I absolutely love that idea.

      Delete
  2. Ahh looks amazing. Makes me sooo broody seeing a nursery all done up. Love it. Thank you for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment