Food Fix: Here's to Health and Happiness


Of course it’s not just the health of our little ones that we should be worried about. We all need to take care of our health too.

While many mums aim to get back into shape after birth and get into their pre-pregnancy clothes. For others their pregnancy has flagged up health concerns. Originally thinking ourselves fit and healthy our pregnancies have literally blown us sideways as we learn the real status of our health during pregnancy. This in turn can lead to a rethink regarding eating habits.

I have been one of those people who have had a major rethink in their life. For I discovered I am type 2 diabetic.

Over the years, I thought I ate fairly well. However how many of us are confronted by a tempting biscuit tin and leave work only to head straight to the shops and buy something that has refined sugar in it? Do you feel down so eat something naughty that gives you that instant boost? Know you are not alone I’ve done it too but after the instant high we are left feeling guilty knowing our bodies (that should be treated like a temple) have actually taken a beating.


In order to make a change i have been trying to cut out the refined sugar and opt for sugar free options instead. So fizzy drinks are out and sugar free drinks are in and changing my cereal to one that has no added sugar or salt. Now if i could just work on changing biscuits and puddings to sugar free options too. I am sure this would also be beneficial. Perhaps i could go as far as meal planning. What do you think?




Mummascribbles
And then the fun began...

Reflections From Me
Weigh, Lose or Stay - Laura's Lovely Blog

Comments

  1. Wow that must have come as a shock, but so many things have refined sugar in them, surprising things actually. Good luck on managing your diabetes x
    #weighloseorstay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura for stopping by and commenting. You are right a lot of things do contain sugar especially drinks.

      Delete
  2. Everything seems to be full of sugar! It must have been a surprise, good luck with managing your diabetes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it did come as a surprise. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up Helena and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner to explain it but you obvs figured it out! Sugar is my one weakness I think - I could never go sugar free. I would like to eat less refined sugar though - Deliciously Ella stuff is good - I have enjoyed her 'raw brownies' (most of the sugar coming through the dates). Xx #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Samantha I discovered after looking into a few more linkys how to do it. Sugar is addictive and sells like negative news. Deliciously Ella sounds good but I'm yet to attempt any of her recipes.

      Delete
  4. I definitely found cutting out fizzy drinks helped me and replacing it with water has helped my weight loss #WeighLoseOrStay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankis for stopping by. Any tips for drinking lots of water? I tend to forget to drink.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your changes, there are lots of options for healthier puddings if you like fruit you could maybe start having fruit with natural yoghurt (I like a bit of sweetener in mine!).

    #weighloseorstay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. I like the sound of that.

      Delete
  6. Good luck making changes to your diet, I'm trying to lose weight because I damaged my back with my last pregnancy and I know it will help stop the issues I'm having, it's a tough thing to do though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for stopping by. I'm sorry to hear that you had complications during pregnancy too. I agree with you that it is tough but with great determination in fixing the issue we'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had diabetes with my pregnancies I found it good to speak to a dietician about what was good for me, and also found a low GI diet the best way to go. Take care I know it is tough. Thanks for sharing with me at #mummyandus

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear that. I also saw a dietician but am currently without one. I'll have to take a look into the GI diet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment