Word of the Week: Frugal

It's Friday so that means only one thing. It is time to join Jocelyn from The Reading Residence with her linky #WotW. If you've got a word that sums up your week and have a post written on the word. Why not consider joining her. 


I was recently inspired by the blog post 5 inspiring creative activity books for kids written by  Claire at The Ladybirds Adventures. We already had the above book that was recommended but a look on the shelves at a local charity shop led to picking up Curious Jane too.  I think the book is a little too advanced for my little artists at present but I can see it being used once they get to school age.

Talking of being thrifty. We were up at 5am on Sunday heading to a carboot sale. I've picked up a few things books, cushions, an etch a sketch and a few baskets for hampers so far this season. I love putting together hampers as when you find something right for that certain someone you can store it away in the basket as soon as it's purchased.  Adding as you go through the year means by Birthday or Christmas you've got something together right?! I've already got an idea as to what to do for my sister and her family but have yet to purchase the items.

Ok so now I've dared talk about Christmas during summer. I thought I'd share with you that I've been thinking of decor and picked up a couple of outdoor lanterns from a supermarket that are just perfect for Christmas as well as the summer season. What's more they were selling at £10 and now are down to £5 so thats two for one right? I've already been considering getting a fireplace for aesthetic purposes and for us to pretend Father Christmas has an entrance into our house.

Decorating with what we've got and introducing the odd piece here and there around the house has been very much in the front of my mind recently. I changed the position of the desk on my own after asking my hubby to do it and it not happening. I'm seriously considering some sort of shelving in its place so the kids can just pull out canvas bins that contain what they want and hubby can display his collection on the top out of their reach. I do hope that would work and it not appear to them as climbing apparatus!

Do you find yourself being resourceful with what you've got or shopping while helping out a cause?

The Reading Residence

Comments

  1. Frugal is one my favourite words. It's never too early to start thinking about Christmas, planning ahead saves so much money. Well done on your bargains ! #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids would definitely have seen that as climbing apparatus! Hope yours don't! I've yet to think about Christmas, you're ahead of the game there. My kids have their birthdays in September & October , so Christmas thinking comes after that! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm maybe I need to rethink the storage options out there. A little now and then is the way I'm going. No idea what to get most people yet.

      Delete
  3. Car boot sales are fun. I've not been to one for years. I love to use what we already have. The creative process is a good challenge. I also like to make, in the spirit of slow living. The time it takes me to make a dress, for example, I could have easily bought 5 more. That would be 4 dresses more than I really needed. #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly can be. Being resourceful is wonderful and I love your creativity.

      Delete
  4. You're a woman after my own heart, considering Christmas so early! Now's a great time to get bargains for the festive season, you're being very resourceful! Stocking up hampers throughout the year is a great idea, I wish I could get up early enough to go car booting. #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spreading the cost out really helps I think. 5am is certainly very early but my hubby does shifts so wakes me this early sometimes too.

      Delete
  5. Thats such a great idea, I love getting just the right gift for someone but never plan ahead. I used to start shopping in October and spread the cost, now I am rubbish and do it all in a week! I need to organise myself better this year x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can be a shopper when I am not too careful. I try to only buy the things that I need though because spending money on the things that my family enjoys is always more important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hampers are such a great idea for Christmas. I tend to be quite last minute with mine but you sound much more organised! :-) #WotW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment