Syllables, Short Sentences and a Question

My eldest has been storing away and learning lots of words for a while now. In the past she has pointed to things and when I've told her what they are she’s stored it away ready to say the next time she sees it. This is most apparent on our geocaching trips. The most notable of which is when we saw windmills in Godington and she wanted to get closer.



I've noticed that when she speaks. She often just recites half of the word such as ‘ries’ or ‘strawbs’ for you guessed it strawberries or ‘ban’ for banana. It seems one syllable is enough to get through to us so why bother with the rest? Of course there are many one syllable words too such as ‘phone’, ‘car’, ‘keys’ and ‘house’ to name but a few. The most recited word at the moment following our visit to Flywheel recently is ‘plane’.



Many of these words can be strung together to make simple sentences and even a question has arisen. That question is ‘what’s that?’ and is usually accompanied by a television programme. Of course she knows the title of the programme that she has chosen to question but wants me to tell her. I guess she is trying to make conversation and thus I answer her question with one myself ‘what do you think it is?’ to which she replies ‘it’s [insert title of programme here]’.



It’s lovely to see her making conversation but I'm already wondering whether she’ll be bombarding me with questions I truly don’t know all the answers to and reminding me of a wonderful local musician’s piece.  

I am writing this post in line with Louise from Little Hearts Big Love linky From the Mouths of Babes. I see this as a great way to capture the present and preserve it for future reference.


Little Hearts, Big LoveRhyming with WineMrs Mummy Harris

Comments

  1. My little girl is 3 in a few weeks and we are fully into the question phase. Every 5 minutes she asks a new one, sometimes the same one several times. That song is great, and is exactly my life at the moment! #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when they start pulling together all those random words they've learned to form sentences and chat to you. Have fun #TriumphantTales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids always ask the most difficult questions lol. It is great that she is learning so many new words
    #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get ready as she will start asking many questions atleast my 4 year old does a lot at the moment and he's obsessed with spellings too! #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely when little ones start recalling the things that you've told them and repeating things back to you. Sounds like your little one's vocabulary is really starting to expand. The question stage is lovely but can be a little challenging too when it gets a bit constant! Thank you for linking up to #ftmob :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's incredible watching their vocabulary grow and see them learn how to communicate. I found it such a turning point once I could have a conversation with my two. My youngest is nearly 3 and barely spoke at all until recently, but he has jumped straight to sentences. It's like he was saving up the words until he could say what he wanted. Thanks for linking this to #DreamTeam Helena x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment