Down by the River: Abingdon on Thames

With the longer days of summer ahead of us and the warm weather we decided to take advantage of the free parking near the Abbey grounds in Abingdon and go on a circular walk of the area. I've done this circular before first while geocaching although we think that the trail has now long gone and secondly with my new found mummy friends.


Down by the River Abingdon on Thames


On our walk we passed the playground that was full of children enjoying the most of the facilities on offer and headed towards the lock. Had my eldest been awake I have a feeling that we’d have made slower progress around the area for she loves the swings and slide. 

Down by the River Abingdon on Thames

As we got closer to the lock and weir we encountered some ducks. There were two mother ducks, two daddy ducks and several ducklings. The ratio of ducks to ducklings seemed unfair and we wondered what may have happened to one ducks offspring! We witnessed the mother duck with several ducklings have a go at the other mother duck and her baby! I'm sure the ducklings were hungry but alas we had no bread or bird seed with which to feed them so were all soon on our way again.

The walk we took is popular with dog walkers and it’s possible to see the odd squirrel scurrying through the trees. There’s even a bees nest visible from the weir on the end of one of the buildings to be aware of currently. 

Down by the River Abingdon on Thames

I was surprised that our double buggy fitted onto the bridge heading over the weir and the bridge over the canal too and thought at first we may have had to turn back but fortunately it was no problem. Crossing the weir we could hear the sound of the water rushing to escape and it led my eldest to wake up from her slumber. I thought she may wake with a fright but perhaps seeing Mr Tumble on television earlier that day talking about canal boats and the waterways softened things for her. As soon as she’d woken up she was soon keen to get up on her feet and explore.  This she did under the supervision of her dad while I tended to our youngest. Our girls have yet to be taught how to swim so you have to have eyes in the back of your head near the river as it’s not enclosed.

Down by the River Abingdon on ThamesDown by the River Abingdon on Thames

Down by the River Abingdon on Thames

Down by the River Abingdon on Thames

As we headed towards the bridge leading into Abingdon we spied a field of buttercups. I'm not sure what led our French family to speak in Spanish but they called them botón de oro (golden buttons) which is a lovely way to think of buttercups don’t you think? 

Down by the River Abingdon on Thames

Exiting the field was a tad challenging with the double buggy but we managed it and finished the circular walk by passing the old jail, police station and a pub buzzing with activity as people revelled in the sun and celebrated the end of another working week. Finally making it back to the car park where our car awaited us to take us back home.

Where have you and your family ventured to recently?

BabyfooteKCACOLSCountry Kids from Coombe MillMorgan PrincePotty AdventuresExtraordinary ChaosReflections From MeRhyming with Wine

Comments

  1. I'd love to go down on a river. Lovely collection of photos by the way. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this has brought back some lovely memories. I lived on a narrow boat for a couple of years prior to kids. Nothing beats a stroll or boat ride along the river ;) Thanks for linking #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really calming experience for sure. I bet you've got lots of tales of the river to tell x

      Delete
  3. aww golden buttons that is gorgeous! I love the ducks, seeing abby animals is just the best. #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Language is fantastic and nature certainly is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful pictures. I have relatives in Richmond and we often walk along the Thames there :)

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. The Thames is lovely but not great to swim in I understand sadly.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos, looks a lovely place to explore with the family X #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful place! Lovely pictures and who doesn't love buttercups? #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are so bright and beautiful right?

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful adventure that you brought me along for! Thank you. It's a cold, gloomy day here and your photos have sparked some happiness where needed! TY #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah pleased to read they've brightened up your day

      Delete
  8. What a lovely looking place! I have never explored Abingdon before and didn't realise that there were such beautiful green places there. It looks like you had a fantastic time and glad you got to enjoy the ducklings too (When you head out to a park, grab a few hands of frozen peas or sweetcorn as they are better for wildlife than bread and can be easily scattered at the end for other birds too)
    #adventurecalling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you really should it's a lovely area. We had a lovely relaxing evening there. Thank you for the advice. I wasn't sure what the alternative was.

      Delete
  9. Such a pretty place! I love walking along the river, there's something so peaceful and calming about it xx #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding little places like this. I live in a city but it is very green and we also have lots of rivers here too, 7 in fact, and I live right by a basin and quays with canal boats, this is what it reminded me of :) it's so quiet down there and it's great having things like this right on your door step. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the combination of green foliage and buildings. Canada is one place that I think has done well at this.

      Delete
  11. Aww, what a beautiful place! We love spending time down by the river, it's so relaxing! Lovely photos. xx #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree very relaxing perhaps the sound of it makes it so

      Delete
  12. Looks like a lovely walk out that way I've only been to places in the town itself, rather than the greener areas #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful, great pictures. I always find it incredibly therapeutic and relaxing to be near water. I love the sounds and the patterns on the surface changing over time. I could watch those for hours. Great post, and glad it was all accessible for a double buggy! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree it is a very calming aspect of nature. There's only so many places accessible with double buggies as you can imagine so it's great it didn't put a stop to our walk.

      Delete
  14. Such a beautiful looking walk and always handy when they are circular so you don't have to double back. I did feel for the ducklings you passed, life is harsh for them. We had 2 sets this year. Our mallard lost all hers in one day but we still have 4 thriving runner ducklings that we are keeping indoors until they are bigger. All around the lock looks so pretty and that field of buttercups is delightful. I may have to adopt the French phrase!

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on circular walks and prefer those any day to double backing. I'm sorry to read about the ducklings and it's great to read that you've rescued 4 runner ducklings.

      Delete
  15. What a lovely day out, I've spent a lot of time in Abingdon but never been to the riverside...it looks beautiful! Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place for a walk....Everything looks so pretty.
    #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a lovely place for a day out. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a lovely place, I love the photo at the end in the field of buttercups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought it was a perfect place for a photo.

      Delete
  19. That last photo is so cute Helena! It sounds like you had a lovely walk. I think we'd love to walk around there if we were closer. :)
    Thanks for linking to #pocolo
    Morgan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The area is certainly beautiful and a great place whatever the season.

      Delete
  20. golden buttons is a fabulous name for buttercups! I just introduced the idea of checking to see if someone likes butter using the flower, so now my 4 year old goes around shoving flowers in people's chins. It's a good job he's cute...

    Thanks for joining #daysoutwithatoddler. I love your photos of Abingdon. I hadn't realised there were locks there, and it sounds like a nice place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love a circular walk. Yours sounds like it had a bit of everything. Water front and meadows. Love the name golden buttons. Have to share that with my language mad daughters. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what came first the English or the Spanish. What do you think?

      Delete
  22. What a glorious walk. It's always a bonus when you get a buggy to places like this. I love the spanish for buttercups, I might adopt that from now on! From your photos it looks lovely, a great way to spend a sunny afternoon. Thanks so much for sharing with us at #AdventureCalling

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love a circular walk and especially one that is near the river or the sea! This looks delightful. Love the name for the buttercups too! Thanks for linking up with #KCACOLS, hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love ducks and canals. You shouldn't feed them bread bit peas. Bread isn't good for them. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  25. What lovely photos - it looks like a gorgeous place. It sounds like a lovely sunny afternoon walk. #daysoutwithatoddler

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely riverside walk - perfect for the type of weather we've been getting recently. Abingdon certainly looks very pretty. And yes, golden buttons is a lovely expression! Thanks for joining us on #adventurecalling calling I hope you can again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks like a lovely little walk and great news about the buggy fitting too! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment