Creative Crafters for Christmas: So Simply Darling

With Christmas just around the corner I thought it would be great to interview a number of creative crafters that can offer something unique at this time of year. This week I am delighted to feature Abby owner of So Simply Darling.

So Simply Darling Logo

 Hi. For those who don't know you please tell us a bit about yourself?


Hi I'm Abby owner of So Simply Darling! I’m 28, have classic Virgo traits and married to my love who I met 10 years ago. Also a Mama to two fur balls, Alfie pup (Lhasa Apso) & Teddy cat (a Mainecoon x) & a gorgeous mare Missy-May. I work mainly in my family's automotive business, and the rest of my time on SSD. I have always loved interiors and how they're created. To me, my home and what I choose to surround myself with is my sanctuary (one of my happiest places is when I have a paintbrush and glass of wine in each hand)! I have also recently discovered a love for Ashtanga yoga, which is so good for my mind and body, so aiming one day to be a fully-fledged Yogi!

Alfie Pup and Abby's Cushion Creation

What sort of creative business do you run?


I design & create personalised homemade and gifts. A lot stems from the above comment of my love of interior design, and I love to add an individualised element to each home. Before I started my business I loved to make personalised items for friends and family, as I feel like they're special and thoughtful more so than something easily accessible of generic.

Abby's personalised stockings


What advice would you give to someone who wants to have a go themselves?


The good days make all the hard frustrating days so worth it. Also big up yourself, you're working so many hours designing, and crafting away on your product and you should be so proud! Although it's a hard thing to do in a largely self-deprecating society. If you have an idea you just have to bite the bullet, there's nothing worse than not knowing the outcome of what you can achieve. Also try to get to know other people in your same line of work, it's amazing what you can learn from other creatives, and it's as important to be a cheerleader for other small businesses as well as yourself. As in life, the biggest time sap I find is admin of your business. Just updating social media, your site and all that jazz, as it drains time when you'd rather being doing the fun stuff, in my case creating new frames and products! Unfortunately that's just a very important by product of your business, and you have to allow time for it too


And never forget:


'Creativity is intelligence having fun' Albert Einstein.


Abby's Personalised Work


How do you juggle creative work / life?



It's not an art I've mastered yet! I have many a sleepless night thinking about ideas & worrying about designs, or how I could improve the. Sometimes it's a real struggle, but I find always having a notebook to hand helps to jot down ideas. My day job gives me stability, and my side show gives me the creativity I love, so they balance each other out which is important for my sanity!


Abby's Personalised Canvas


Where can we find you?


Abby can be found on Facebook here, Etsy here and Instagram here

Comments