Creative Crafters for Christmas: Love Made My Home

With Christmas just around the corner I thought it would be great to interview a number of creative crafters that can offer something unique at this time of year. This week I am delighted to feature Amy from Love Made My Home. 


Love Made My Home Logo


Hi for those who don’t know you, could you please tell us a bit about yourself.



Hi, I am Amy.  My lovely husband and I love our home, which is how the name of my blog and business came into being - Love Made My Home!  Ever since I was a small child I have loved to make things or create something new from something old.  I was upcycling before the word was invented.  Nowadays I like to crochet and do needlework, but I am just trying to learn to knit as well - it is proving to be a challenge for me.

My husband and I love to garden and visit historic places and go for days out to explore the world around us. As part of that I also work at a National Trust house as a tour guide which I really love, it is great to meet and interact with people and to be able to share what I love.

An ideal day for me would be some time in the garden to catch up with jobs there, then a visit to a historic house for a look round, and perhaps a slice of cake in the cafĂ©, then home for a good dinner after which I would settle down to watch a period drama on the TV while I crocheted or did some sewing!  Sounds perfect to me!


What sort of creative business do you run?

I have an Etsy shop where I sell bags and stitch markers/progress keepers for knitting and crochet.  Or any other project you want to use them for of course!  My main focus though is designing crochet patterns.  I recently published four patterns in my Little Women Shawl series in my Ravelry Shop and have published patterns for various other items too.  I love designing crochet patterns as I like to fiddle around with yarn and make it into something new that didn't exist and wouldn't have been made if I hadn't come up with the pattern for it.  I suppose you would call me a designer crocheter maker.  I tell people I am a crochet designer - on the basis that saying it will make it come true!


What advice would you give to someone who wants to have a go themselves?


Just go for it.  If you don't do it you will never know.  I am a really tiny small business, but from little acorns mighty oaks grow and all that.  I was curious to know if I could do it and although I am at the beginning and things are still small I am so glad I took the leap and when I first made some sales I was so excited.  So my advice is to give it a go.  Get some advice about tax and accounting if you need to - boring but necessary - and then just make really good use of all of the free tools available to you or the cheapest other ones.  Running an Etsy or Ravelry shop costs very little in terms of money you just have to add the time to it.  Also use other social media.  It is mostly free.



How do you juggle your creative work/life?


I am not sure that I do juggle it!  I crochet at any time and often have ideas floating around in my head when I am doing something else.  Remembering them all is the hardest part.  I try and keep my work time to the daytime - 9 to 5 ish.  However, I rarely actually crochet on an item during the day and sit and do this in the evenings while I watch TV or chat to my husband.  Accounts and so on are always done during the day.  Most of all, as with all things in my life, I try and stay organised and not let things build up so you are overwhelmed with paperwork when you want to be creating.


Where can we find you?



You can find Love Made My Home:  my blog here, Instagram here, Etsy here and Ravelry here.

Thank you Amy for taking time out of your busy schedule to be interviewed. If you are a creative crafter and would like to be interviewed on a future post in the series please get in contact.

Comments

  1. The green craft is so cute! I love that you have done this series, it is such a great way to meet new bloggers and promote their work! #ablogginggodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi. Not all of these are bloggers but they do create gorgeous pieces.

      Delete
  2. Wow...I know how to crochet a very basic pattern and I am in awe of people who can create beautiful pieces like these! Fantastic work!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I struggle personally with crochet and can't knit either.

      Delete
  3. I like home made bits and bobs and want to try to give more home made things for Christmas. I am NOT creative tho, so will have to buy from others! The little bags at the top look lovely. #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a firm believer that we are all 'creative' whether you are good with your hands or words.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for introducing us to another crafter. I love those bags and will shortly be checking out the shop. What a wonderful and talented lady she is #weekendblogshare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm pleased I've inspired you.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting to read something I knew nothing about - and what a skill it is! Very good idea having a series like this. Easy to keep running and keep interesting, and yet still bringing a good read each time! Thumbs up from me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting read and something I knew nothing about! Very good idea writing a series on it, you'll never be stuck for inspiration and always make an interesting read. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love losing a few hours browsing on Etsy and seeing the amazing ideas people come up with. I would love to be the crafty type! Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Etsy sure is a delight for the eyes.

      Delete
  8. What a talented lady you are!

    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me? I think you mean Amy. She definitely is.

      Delete
  9. Some lovely articles there great post Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so interesting to hear how Amy started her business and to see some examples of her amazing work. It's great that these days it's easier to get your creative work out there to the world. I'm sure this will be very inspiring to others who want to sell their creations. Sadly, I myself am craft-impaired so I can only look and admire. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be in your words 'craft-impaired' but certainly not when it comes to writing.

      Delete
  11. How clever to be designing her own crochet patterns, very talented. Great series.
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely pieces... I love crafting when I find a spare minute to. I used to make my Christmas gifts all the time but it's just not possible for me at the moment whilst pregnant and running after my toddler. That's why I like blogging! It gives my creativity and outlet otherwise I get very sad.lol. #dreamandsparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes it can be a tad challenging when the toddler wants to get stuck into crafting with you.

      Delete
  13. Oh I am off for a browse right now. I love the bag with the butterfly fabric and I would love to learn how to crochet! Thank you for linking up to #EatSleepBlogRT

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I love sewing and would love to have my own shop online one day, but think I need a bit more practise! Thanks for linking up to That Friday Linky #ThatFridayLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect as they say but some people would argue that you should just get stuck in.

      Delete
  15. i love to crochet but dont think id have the patience to try and actually write the patterns! hats off Amy! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love crochet but I have to have a pattern to work from, I wouldn't even know where to begin creating my own patterns.
    #Picknmix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes a pattern definitely helps. I guess if its something you do a lot of and enjoy then you immerse yourself in it and end up coming up with your own patterns.

      Delete
  17. What a great idea! I love hearing about small businesses, what they do and how they got started! x #DreamandSparkle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow how awesome! I know how to sew and knit a little but total awe of this!!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is. I admire you for being able to knit and sew. I can't knit.

      Delete
  19. Thank you Helena for showcasing my blog and work, it really is so very kind of you and I do appreciate it. I am sorry that I didn't get round to thank you before, I have been - still am! - so behind with blogging and I only just saw this post. Thank you again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Amy. It was lovely to read your answers.

      Delete
  20. I know a few people who would love these. I'm a rubbish knitter myself though - I can barely make a scarf! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah me too. I have tried but knitting is not my forte. I admire people who can.

      Delete
  21. How lovely - I can't do it myself but I love crochet! Love the green one! #PicknMix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty isn't it especially with the flowers

      Delete
  22. I love reading about how people turn their crafts into little businesses! I'm hoping when I have my kiln up and running again I might open up a little Etsy shop. Great series #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fantastic. Do come back and tell us all about your experience.

      Delete
  23. What a gorgeous name for a business! I love this series you're doing, and I love this work too, especially all the crochet which is so inspiring for me, being a beginner (a constant beginner, that's me!) #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Thank you. Nothing wrong with being a constant beginner getting started is sometimes the most difficult thing.

      Delete
  24. I have recently became addicted to etsy I have found so many lovely crafters over there. Off to have a nosy at your shop just now #DreamandSparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Etsy is lovely could spend a long time looking at the lovely work on there

      Delete
  25. I love to be creative but I rarely get time these days! X #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's difficult finding the time. Hope you find some one day soon.

      Delete
  26. Oh wow what gorgeous creations, love the business name #DreamandSparkle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment