Interview with Notting Hill Yummy Mummy Author of The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha Land

I was recently treated to a delightful read called The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha Land. In fact I loved it so much I nearly read the whole book in the journey up to the Lakes. The book tells the tale of a family moving to London after the husband lands a dream job. It addresses how they all try to fit into their new way of living and their relationship with one another. For me personally I felt I could relate to the Beta Mum and like her I have found a loving caring community online. Here’s my interview with the great author behind the book:



Hi for those who don’t know you, could you please tell us a bit about yourself?

I am a mum of 2 young daughters and I live in west London. Prior to starting my writing career, I trained as a GP and worked as a GP Registrar but when I had my first child and returned back to work, I didn't feel like I was doing either very well, so I chose to focus on my children. After the birth of my second child, I started my blog, as a bit of fun, but since then, I have written features for the Saturday Times Magazine, the Times, Corner magazine and other online magazines. It had always been my dream to write a book and two years ago, after receiving compliments from some of my readers, I decided to fulfil my dream!

What inspired you to write this lovely little book?

They say to write about what you know – and being a mother in west London and its struggles and challenges is what I know best! Of course, living in west London can be very entertaining and the residents here are very colourful and entertaining. In terms of the plot, I wanted to explore the challenges of women these days; including feeling guilty if you go back to full-time work, losing you identity if you stay at home, and not feeling like you are doing either right if you work part time. One theme I also explored was loneliness and feeling like an outsider, which I know many mothers feel at the school gates. I also hope that my book inspires kindness!

Has the book got elements inspired by reality or is it all from your imagination?

My characters are all completely fictional, but some of the events in the book are influenced by real events or stories that I have heard from friends. I did really go to a play date and get mistaken for someone coming in for a housekeeping interview! I was slightly mortified when it happened, but now I can laugh at the whole situation. It was rather funny – so that made it in the book! I also started a blog, like Sophie, the main character, but it wasn't out of loneliness, but rather to chronicle the entertaining lives of west London residents.

What advice would you give budding writers?

Don’t give up. If writing is something you want to do, you must persevere. It takes perseverance, determination and tenacity to a) write a book b) getting it published c) selling it. Each of those three steps are obstacles that one must overcome – it is not easy. Writing is a solitary craft that takes time to hone. Even Stephen King’s writing was rejected, so don’t give up. 


Where can we find you?

You can find me on my blog, on Twitter and on Goodreads 


Publication day is today so what are you waiting for. Grab this great read here now. x

Read With MeRhyming with Wine


Comments

  1. I've seen another great review of this book this week and can't wait to read it :o)

    #ReadWthMe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a great read. Thank you very much for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading the book and it's so nice to hear more from the author, thanks for sharing with #readwithme

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment