Word of the Week: Hospital


This week I have been in and out of hospital. On Monday I was in the Diabetics clinic where I got to see the Midwife, Doctor and Dietician. I don’t mind seeing all these people who care for me but the wait to see them all does grate.

On Tuesday I went to get more medication and was frustrated to see that despite the fact I’d put my request in on Thursday of the previous week they had nothing ready for me! I'm now considering swapping to a shop pharmacy.

Wednesday I was in hospital again this time little one showed up on screen with their legs crossed and while one arm was folded over their head, the other lay by their side. The sonographer spoke me through all the parts of the body and was happy with the observations she made.

So Thursday and Friday have been rest days this week for me. It is time to think about the advice given to me over the week including how to eat well at breakfast time. I usually plump for Rice Krispies at breakfast but as everything quickly turns to sugar it’s no good for me.  It gives you an instant high which makes you feel great but having peaks of high blood sugar levels and low ones is not good for anyone.

Here are five breakfast swaps I'm considering:

  • Wholemeal toast with butter
  • Homemade Pancakes made with very little sugar – can be mixed with raisins etc
  • Fromage frais and fruit
  • Wholemeal Muffins
  • Drop Scones
What do you eat for breakfast? 

The Reading Residence
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three



Comments

  1. I eat the same thing every day, homemade whole wheat toast with butter, low calorie orange juice and black coffee. Don't know how healthy it is, but it works for me.
    Glad the sonogram went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole wheat toast with butter sounds good to me. You have to be careful about low calorie stuff as sometimes they substitute it with things and of course too much caffeine isn't great either. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching though.

      Delete
  2. It would frustrate, all the waiting around, though pleased to hear that the scan went well. I tend to go for Weetabix or Shreddies, though I do like muffins and porridge at the weekend when we've more time! Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all my patience has worn off having been a teaching assistant - I'm joking. Think one of my problems is I'm a fussy eater so didn't like Weetabix ...

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that it has been a trying week for you, I am glad that the scan went well though, that is all good news and must have been cheering for you. Drop scones for breakfast sounds good to me! Thank you so much for joining in the anniversary of Five On Friday, I really do appreciate it so much! Have a good weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fantastic positive. Happy anniversary - I love joining in and reading all your great posts.

      Delete
  4. Wow what a busy week, I certainly understand your frustrations, my partners recently diagnosed diabetic and there is so much to get your head around! Glad all went well with your scan. Always great when you get a sonographer who takes the time to talk to you. https://gimmiefive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. There certainly is lots to think about but there are loads of courses etc that can help.

      Delete
  5. Wow hate having to wait around for appointments but glad you got some rest at the end of the week X p.s. Congrats on the pregnancy #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam - waiting is made worse by the knowledge the parking is going up but still I know I'm in good hands.

      Delete
  6. I'm a sourdough toast and marmite kinda girl breakfast-wise, sometimes I stretch to jam instead. Total sympathy on the waiting for hospital appointments - hope next week is better for you #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of sourdough toast before is it how it sounds?

      Delete
    2. Better than it sounds - sourdough bread toasted :)

      Delete
  7. Hope you managed to get your medication sorted - that sounds very frustrating. I love Marmite and peanut butter on toast (yes, both together!) for breakfast :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is unique still if you enjoy it that's really good.

      Delete
  8. Hi Helena, exciting times for you, but I can imagine that being pregnant and diabetic means you have to be extra careful. I always have breakfast and start the day with all sorts. Some days it's just a couple of Weetabix, another it maybe a fruit smoothie made with milk, frozen fruit,natural yogurt and oats. I absolutely love eggs too.

    Hope all goes well with your pregnancy.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie I really like the sound of the fruit smoothie I really ought to get around to trying it. Thanks for commenting and the well wishes. xx

      Delete
  9. Pleased to hear the scan went well. I vary what I eat in the morning dependant on how I feel, my favourite is overnight oats with berries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard of that before. Sounds very nutritious.

      Delete
  10. Are you diabetic or is it gestational? I had it in my first oregnancy and it lingered. I found corn flakes were the worst for blood sugar hikes but porridge was ok. The problem is finding something you fancy. Thanks for linking up #MaternityMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Type 2 Diabetic. As a fussy eater myself it's not easy to find something I like but we'll get there. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment