Discovering Frugal Finds

Following on from last week’s post here I've been taking a look at my daughter’s wardrobe and feel that it is in need of a little updating. 


My Daughter's Wardrobe


She has tights which don’t match up with any of her dresses. Therefore, that warranted a little shopping and where better to try searching than a charity shop which is not only an environmentally friendly place in which to shop but it also helps out a worthy cause.

These were my finds:

  • A new Autograph dress with its tag still attached.
  • Usborne Books (usually priced at £5.99 per book) for £1 each in perfect condition
  • A pink light shade for £1, which will replace the old one she had in our daughter’s room.


I also bought a couple of things from a local supermarket:

  • Brand new covers for our double bed
  • A calendar for 75p.


My top tips for discovering frugal finds this week are:

  • Make a list of your favourite charity shops. Some are much better than others and for different things too.
  • Sometimes a charity shop will also have an associated warehouse which you could also potentially visit
  • Check out the clearance section of your local supermarket. You may be surprised at what you find.
  • Discover what time food produce is reduced and stock up if you feel inclined. Something’s can be frozen and used at a later date.
  • Check out your local consignment sales i.e. NCT
  • Finally, there are the odd swishing events that may be worth taking a peek at

How about you: Do you like to shop frugally or does everything have to be bought brand new?

This post was originally linked up with Jocelyn, Amy and Amy

Comments

  1. Sounds like you've unearthed some great finds! Haven't been to a charity shop lately. You've just inspired me to visit! 😀 #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear I've inspired you.

      Delete
  2. Great job finding bargains. I am a thrift/bargain shopper for most things. I'm unclear on what Swishing events are?? My five are found at #27 on the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swishing events offer an opportunity to swap one item for something else that you'll treasure more.

      Delete
  3. You have managed to find some great bargains this week. Usborne books are brilliant for kids, aren't they? I tend to but new in the sales or clearance sections, though I love charity shops for book bargains. Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to start very early collecting these. I had a good look into what else was available but the thought of hearing repetitive books would have driven me loopy. So I'm sticking with these and loving the question section at the back.

      Delete
  4. You did well with your shopping! I think that charity things are great for children, they grow so quickly they are often little used and children, especially small ones, don't know anyway do they! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job shopping. Good idea to not use a specific lampshade but rather one that can grow with her as her taste changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the sort of person that likes to wait for a sale with at least 50% off or I don't treat it as a real bargain! I hate paying the real price for anything. Have a good weekend. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Barbara. A local supermarket springs to mind for poor reductions.

      Delete
  7. Great suggestions, I do like a bargain, x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds and a very inspiring post! ("Word of the Week" sounds lovely.) Second-hand clothes are great for children, they are indeed often in a very good condition. We pass clothes, toys, etc. between relatives and friends.
    Have a lovely new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. At present my daughter is an only grandchild and the closest relative is a 5 year old boy.

      Delete

Post a Comment