Educating My Baby

Let me start this post by saying that as a couple we love geocaching as a hobby and love getting out there and finding them. Together we have clocked up nearly 10,000 since we first got together and have no plans to stop. For my husband it’s walking with a purpose and I love the adventure that goes with it. There’s nothing better than getting out into the countryside and refreshing your batteries. The other day we even had our own private display of The Red Arrows who happened to fly over as we strolled about in Gloucestershire.

Eldest seeks out geocache


Ocassionally these geocaches have meant looking into history, discovering mathematical problems and looking at geography. This has got me considering what it would be like to home school or at least provide an education on top of that which she’ll receive if she attends mainstream school.  By getting involved in geocaching she will be learning a lot and meeting others who are from like minded families.

I have discovered that there is even a forest school nearby that takes babies from 6 months so I’m wondering whether to have a go at that.  6 months sounds a little young to be introduced to mud and sticks but we could go along to find out what it involves.

Another way in which I will be helping her to learn is through Orchard Toys. I have picked up loads over the summer and plan to play these with her when she’s older from learning colours, shapes and animals to how to tell the time and work out money I have it covered with these great toys. So if it is throwing down with rain she will be keeping warm and cosy with a game that’s educational and fun too.

Of course these are games for the future and she’s got a while yet before she can play them.  Before then I aim to introduce her to art and crafts as well as sensory play.


What would you recommend?

Comments

  1. Sensory toys are great! When my children were that small I found the best thing to do was to sing to them, read to them, and hold them. That's all they want - your touch and positive interaction. Geocaching sounds like a wonderful family activity! I've heard of many people who love it. Stopping by from Twinkly Tuesday.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geocaching sure is fun and we've met some lovely people on our journeys. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  2. When Baby Boy was that age, I mostly read, held, and played simple games with him (peek a boo, etc.) as he loved to watch me be silly. Often, he also just watched me as I went about doing things around the house. Sensory toys can be so great as they engage their little brains and make new connections, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting LB Present. I stocked up on lots of Lamaze prior to her birth so it sounds like I did the right thing.

      Delete
  3. I am a massive fan of Orchard Toys! We have a couple of them here and Zach loves them and is learning from them. They are just fantastic! He is also well into crafts now and regularly asks to do painting which I just love. He's always been a fan of things like abacus' or wooden counting blocks. They are always fab too! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hadn't thought of those. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  4. I too love, love Orchard toys, they are not so easy to get a hold of in Australia but my children have loved them #mummyandus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I didn't realise you were on the other side of the world such is the impact of the internet where I imagine is perhaps the best place to get hold of them for you right?

      Delete
  5. We used to love orchard toys, they are so simple, educational and fun at the same time.
    Thanks for sharing #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment